Neptune Aquatics

New to the hobby (90 gal tank)

New to reefing! Here’s my set up:)
Located in union city, my set up was bought used from a fellow reef keeper here.
Any advice is much appreciated!

Attachments

• E3E8D9FE-DF58-47E6-B823-01E22E7563DD.jpeg
    E3E8D9FE-DF58-47E6-B823-01E22E7563DD.jpeg
    55.1 KB · Views: 329
This is the story of the tank so far: Bought the tank/stand/sump from a fellow reefer. Everything else was bought used from different people/places. I sat on it for about 4 months planning what I wanted it to look like. And here it is. Tank is about 2 weeks old, little puffer fish will not be permanent, just used the little guy to cycle the tank and then he’ll be going back to my fish only tank.

Welcome! Nice to have another Union City Reefer.
Looks like a nice tank.

Cycling using live fish is no longer needed or recommended.
Ammonia + bacteria additives are far better.
Both for fish, and for cycling, since you know exactly what is being added, and it goes much faster.

Welcome! Nice to have another Union City Reefer.
Looks like a nice tank.

Cycling using live fish is no longer needed or recommended.
Ammonia + bacteria additives are far better.
Both for fish, and for cycling, since you know exactly what is being added, and it goes much faster.
Understood, I cycled my tank that way when I set up my salt water fish only tank. I don’t know, I just wanted to try a different approach haha. But I did add some live rock and a lot of cycled marine bio balls from my other tank. It’s only been 2 weeks and my readings are (I’m using API test kit): ammonia 0.25, nitrite: 0 (idk why that’s reading as 0) and nitrates: between 20 and 40

Next step for me is adding some algeabarn pods and cheato! But I’m gonna wait until the tank is cycled before adding that.

Welcome! Tank looks good - interesting aquascape with swimming room. Are you making a refugium in a section of your sump with the chaeto?

Welcome! Tank looks good - interesting aquascape with swimming room. Are you making a refugium in a section of your sump with the chaeto?
Thanks! I personally don’t like stacked rocks, it just looks too crowded for me. So I did my aquascape this way, also to have open access to the sand bed so I can constantly stir it up to clean it. I am adding a refugium with cheato and pods at the same time once the tank is fully cycled.

Back