Our mission

newbie here! need help fast( getting back into the hobby!)

Hello All!
I've been out of the aquarium scene for quite some time,
I have purchased a 180 gallon well established reef set up. some of the items are 17 years old.
I don't want to lose the livestock in the tank.
should I
A. go buy a newer tank set it up with 40% new salt water and new live sand and transfer most of the established water from the old tank? Hopefully the live stock won't go into shock after the 45min drive.
B. take the risk break the original tank down and put the livestock into big storage buckets/ big wine buckets until the original tank is set up. ( that's moving them twice)
C. find a aquarium maintenance service on this forum and pay them to do the work and move it correctly.

definitely excited to get on the forums and get involved.

Thanks Tut...

I would buy the new tank and add as much as the old water and rock as possible. New sand is a must if the old sand is 17 years old. Asking for trouble if you use the old sand.

Corals will be fine as long as water temperature doesnt get too cold. Acclimation may be a good idea if the corals are in unheated buckets too long

Here’s the problem. Your gonna be at 2000-2500 depending on a few factors of weight. So if you don’t put it over a support beam. The aquarium over time will make the floor sag. Maybe a new construction building can handle more.

I second new live sand unless you rinse out the old very good in batches with alot of saltwater to preserve bacteria. Regardless I aways rinse new live sand anyway in left over tank water which helps clear up the water much faster. But from all the live rock transferring the tank will probably cloud up also . The 220 g with fish and only shrooms I just moved to my place luckily was bare bottom saved alota hassle of which I may add sand later or just coral rubble. Rented 17ft uhaul strapped five 55g blue drums to the walls behind the cab..Pumped most all water down to barrels..Loaded live rock and fish into hd buckets. We chose to keep the fish in the same buckets with the live rock so they could hide and feel more secure just wedged them in tight so they didn't shift..Then pumped remaining water into barrels..loaded tank stand and sump....Reversed when got to house.. All went well nothing died fish were in buckets about 2 to 3 hours since we had to glue some plumbing back together and leak check. Just make sure to get a good pump that can handle your head height if you go that route also buy the white RV hoses at HD made for drinking if you have to buy hoses so no leaching which I use now pumping for water changes in such. My nerves were overwhelmed when we first started the transfer with all the what if sinarios lol but all went well. Yours should go smooth...Hope anything I posted helps I'm still learning all the time in this amazing hobby with only about 5-6 years in so far...
Cheers!
Paul

I second new live sand unless you rinse out the old very good in batches with alot of saltwater to preserve bacteria. Regardless I aways rinse new live sand anyway in left over tank water which helps clear up the water much faster. But from all the live rock transferring the tank will probably cloud up also . The 220 g with fish and only shrooms I just moved to my place luckily was bare bottom saved alota hassle of which I may add sand later or just coral rubble. Rented 17ft uhaul strapped five 55g blue drums to the walls behind the cab..Pumped most all water down to barrels..Loaded live rock and fish into hd buckets. We chose to keep the fish in the same buckets with the live rock so they could hide and feel more secure just wedged them in tight so they didn't shift..Then pumped remaining water into barrels..loaded tank stand and sump....Reversed when got to house.. All went well nothing died fish were in buckets about 2 to 3 hours since we had to glue some plumbing back together and leak check. Just make sure to get a good pump that can handle your head height if you go that route also buy the white RV hoses at HD made for drinking if you have to buy hoses so no leaching which I use now pumping for water changes in such. My nerves were overwhelmed when we first started the transfer with all the what if sinarios lol but all went well. Yours should go smooth...Hope anything I posted helps I'm still learning all the time in this amazing hobby with only about 5-6 years in so far...
Cheers!
Paul
Thanks Paul I appreciate the experience and pointers. I gotta get out of my head about all the what IFs ? I know it can be do it just has to be planned out. I’ve decided to go into the 1/4 garage man cave setup I just need to add a few electrical outlets in that area and larger amp fuses. This is what I love about forums.Most are here to help and share experiences. I’ll post pics as soon as this gets going

Back