Neptune Aquatics

Not looking good: caulastraea with tissue necrosis?

lhuynh

Supporting Member
For the last week plus I've been working to get my nitrates and phosphates up with dosing. Got numbers up for NO3 to 5ppm and phosphate is around .03 right now. During this process looks like I have a dino bloom and most of the corals look fine, the zoas actually probably look better. But noticed yesterday the candy cane didn't look as good as it normally does and took a look today and looks like tissue is receding. Is there anything to be done?

Candy Cane Necrosis.jpg

It could probably benefit from flow.

I have a candy cane that's been through all sorts of ups and downs, and looks like that. Or worse. Always recovered

My first thought was maybe alk changed. I need to get home and run a test and see if there has been any fluctuation. I hadn't run an alk test for a few days.

ah yeah -- not saying that flow caused the problem but can help reduce stress on the CC. Since system chemistry is being shifted around with nitrates and phos, could be adjusting. The flow helps the transition and recovery process...

NO3 5 ppm
PO4 .02
Ca 465
Alk 8.6

Last time I measured Alk a few days ago it was 8.5

PO4 was .01 a few days ago and then I started dosing PO4. It was ranging from .02-.05 before. It's the only thing that's been fluctuating a bit. I dosed .03 PO4 last night after I measured it at .03 up from .02 on Wednesday.

If NO3 and PO4 were zero for a bit last week and you had dino but now all corrected then maybe it’ll recover. I feel like I had similar case after my dino and my cc was a bit off for sure. Now happy.

Yeah, tested again today.

NO3 5 ppm
PO4 0.00
Alk 8.5

I had dosed .04 PO4, but I guess it was all consumed. I've never had 0 PO4, so I'm dosing a bit more tonight with standard NO3 amount of 1.5-2 ppm.

CC continues to look pretty bad.

sounds like you need to feed more to me. I cant seem to get my nitrates up, but i have the opposite issue with po4 because I feed so much. But the corals and fish like it, so I deal with gfo.

You can feed coral food as well

I feed my corals every day.

I use Red Sea AB+ for aminos and fine filter food every day.

Every other day I dump a bunch of Reef Nutrition oyster feast and also their phytoplankton.

Once a week I feed everysingle head of LPS and zoas reef roids.

again, this is almost certainly going toraise your phosphate levels, but I’d rather have the food available for the corals and deal with higher phosphate than have them starve.

I feed my corals every day.

I use Red Sea AB+ for aminos and fine filter food every day.

Every other day I dump a bunch of Reef Nutrition oyster feast and also their phytoplankton.

Once a week I feed everysingle head of LPS and zoas reef roids.

again, this is almost certainly going toraise your phosphate levels, but I’d rather have the food available for the corals and deal with higher phosphate than have them starve.
Out of curiosity, why are you feeding photo?

Check your Mg.

Lps can do that with low Mg.

Candy cane doesn’t need much flow, and can get damaged by more flow when tissue is coming apart.

If you can’t test and/or dose Mg, then just do some really big water changes with a known good salt.

Back