Cali Kid Corals

Nutrient Control. Where to start?

Some Rando

Supporting Member
Hello everyone. I need some help controlling nitrates and phosphates, please.

I just got back from the longest time I’ve been away from my tank. I was gone for 13 days and everything worked like it was supposed to equipment wise. That’s the good news.

While I was gone I used TDO Chroma Boost in a auto feeder. When I’m home, I feed frozen brine and mysis. Using the Chroma Boost for that long without a water change made my phosphates go up to .3 ppm and my nitrates to 22 ppm (tested with Hanna).

I plan on doing a big water change to address these nutrient levels. But, even with regular maintenance my phosphate levels hover around .18 ppm and my nitrates around 11-15 ppm normally. I’m not too worried about 11-15 ppm nitrates, but I would like my nitrates lower. I’ve tried Rowaphos and it definitely lowers the phosphates, but when I take it out it comes right back. Based on how much Rowaphos costs, I would like to try and find something else.

I’m overwhelmed with all this stuff. What should I do? Turn up my skimmer? Chaeto? Or should I stop chasing numbers? Carbon dosing with vinegar sounds good to me and I do have a spare spot in my doser.

Thanks for reading my lengthy post!

TL;DR What’s a easy and cost effective way to get my phosphates and nitrates under control and keep them there?

I have good success using gfo to bring down phosphate.

Your nitrate doesn’t seems too bad. One option is just keep up with maintenance, maybe change filter socks , and or water change more often than usual. Nitrate will come down slowly.

I have good success using gfo to bring down phosphate.

Your nitrate doesn’t seems too bad. One option is just keep up with maintenance, maybe change filter socks , and or water change more often than usual. Nitrate will come down slowly.
Thank you for your reply. I’m definitely more concerned about phosphates, not so much with nitrates.

Would you mind answering a few questions?

How do you run GFO in your system? How long does it last for you? Finally what do you do to keep it from bringing your phosphates down to zero?

Stop chasing for sure.
There are ways to lower phosphate if you feel the need. Possibly feeding less. Hard to say without knowing your system
Thanks for your reply!

So my system has about 50 gallons of total water volume. I have a protein skimmer and i don’t run filter socks or filter media. I feed one frozen cube per day.

Do you think that .3 phosphates isn’t too bad? Or is my usual .18 phosphates more acceptable?

When I went to The Coral Farmers Market and talked to some vendors and mentioned my phosphates we’re at .18, they looked at me like I was insane.

How do your corals look?
You’ll get a lot of answers depending who you ask.
Imo .18 is better than .3, but both can grow healthy corals ime
Sounds like you’re not feeding too much so if you want to lower phosphate I’d use gfo or rowaphos

Thank you for your reply. I’m definitely more concerned about phosphates, not so much with nitrates.

Would you mind answering a few questions?

How do you run GFO in your system? How long does it last for you? Finally what do you do to keep it from bringing your phosphates down to zero?

I just have mine mixed with carbon in a filter bag placed in behind the aio chambers. I don’t have a reactor. I used 3-4 tablespoon gfo for my 65g system. . It will drop phosphate very slowly, so I just have to monitor phosphate weekly. I have yet need to remove gfo. I replace the carbon plus gfo every month.

Back