License to krill

Ofzakaria's IM 25g Lagoon

ofzakaria

Supporting Member
Ok so look like it's time.
Am planning a small QT tank for coral. Lots of indo coming in and I am worried these pieces will carry pests. So I will be building a small QT tank to host coral for couple months before I move it to the display.
I will also use this tank, if successful to host DBTC and pay it forward frags.
So without further ado here we go.
Tank: innovative Marin 25G lagoon AIO
Light: Radion XR15 G5 pro. Starting with one, will see what happen down the line
Filtration:
- while still debating between zeo or fug, I have ready chatos reactor(modified my avast zeo reactor and turned it in to a chatos reactor).

- Also have zeovit reactor ready to kick in when needed.

- activated carbon and rowphos through 2 dedicated reactors.

- Skimmer for now is none, but thinking of either adding the IM ghost desktop skimmer or even a sump+skimmer down the line.

- Added a 1/10 hp chiller as heat is my biggest fear here(setting this in the garage for now, will see if I can pull it off)

ATO: for now I got a smart ATO micro. Looks neat. The good thing is that the tank sits next to my mixing station so there will be plenty of fresh and salt water source.

Flow: will either have 1 mp40 or 2 mp10s

Today I got the tank, the ato from Neptune aquatics.

One last thing, I was debating if I simply connect this tank with my display(my display is plumbed to the garage where I have the chiller and the water reservoir, but I felt it will defeat the purpose of QT, also introduce the risk of bringing in issues (contaminats, heat..etc) from the garage to my dt which clearly is not good idea
This is where the tank will sit. I have a storage shelves in the garage that I will use for this.

Attachments

Last edited:

Solitaryensis

Supporting Member
Nice. I just set up my 25 gallon lagoon as well. What kind of substrate do you plan to use? Are you going to have live rock? Frag racks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ofzakaria

Supporting Member
Nice. I just set up my 25 gallon lagoon as well. What kind of substrate do you plan to use? Are you going to have live rock? Frag racks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Debating still, but probably will have live rock from my DT. Will add small crushed rocks in the back to increase the live rocks, and still debating if I add sand or not. I might go BB on this one since its QT.
@RandyC Do you mind if I ask if u used sand on your frag tank or not?

Last edited:

ofzakaria

Supporting Member
For frag rack, the company randy recommended have some amazing racks. I will get from there..

Already got some of their racks for my display tank

NanoCrazed

Supporting Member
Debating still, but probably will have live rock from my DT. Will add small crushed rocks in the back to increase the live rocks, and still debating if I add sand or not. I might go BB on this one since its QT.
@RandyC Do you mind if I ask of use used sand on your frag tank or not?
What about marine pure blocks for the bottom?

RandyC

Supporting Member
@RandyC Do you mind if I ask of use used sand on your frag tank or not?
In my acro frag/grow out tank, I do not.

ofzakaria

Supporting Member
What are you planning to dose this with? Or can you somehow plumb the DT carX to this
Will see how the demand will be.
Will start with doser, then if need be I can move to carx.
Am even thinking of sharing the existing dastaco with both dt and this one, but need to think of how to do it.
I might have the dastaco output split in to 2 lines, have a solenoid on the line going to the frag tank and controll the solenoid using my khg... would be fun to try..

max_nano

Supporting Member
Am even thinking of sharing the existing dastaco with both dt and this one, but need to think of how to do it.
I might have the dastaco output split in to 2 lines, have a solenoid on the line going to the frag tank and controll the solenoid using my khg... would be fun to try..
Is it feasible to collect say 1L of the carX effluent and then dose that using a doser controlled by the KHG or does the effluent need to be ‘fresh’

Meshmez

Supporting Member
I have never used a CaRX so I could be way off here, but doesn't the reactor pull water from the tank and put it back in? or does the reactor have its own water source, and is essentially just like a dosing pump in the sense that its only adding to the tank. If its pulling from the tank and putting it back in, I would think this would cause issues running it to 2 tanks if they weren't plumbed together?

Last edited:

ofzakaria

Supporting Member
Is it feasible to collect say 1L of the carX effluent and then dose that using a doser controlled by the KHG or does the effluent need to be ‘fresh’
Oh yeh am sure it is. But this will be the same as dosing. Si might as well dose locally using a doser.

Meshmez

Supporting Member
I have the BioSkim on my 25lagoon and it works well. It is hard to clean 2 of the 4 sides of the cup though because the cup wall is so close to the spout.
20200728_112612.jpg

RandyC

Supporting Member
Indeed. I know its debated and there diffrent openions on MP. I personally do not like to use it. I prefer small rocks instead if need be.
I don't like marine pure because it's so brittle. I just bought the maxspect nano-bricks and I like them so far. Very solid and doesn't seem like it will fall apart like marine pure and has a small profile. Good for having a few in there so if you like to wash them out so often you can rotate 1 out at a time so you don't take out you biological filter all at once. Each 4x4x1" brick is supposed to be sufficient for 375 gallons and each box comes with two bricks.

D6E4B941-9D3A-4312-A291-BFB8A59467D4.jpeg

ofzakaria

Supporting Member
I don't like marine pure because it's so brittle. I just bought the maxspect nano-bricks and I like them so far. Very solid and doesn't seem like it will fall apart like marine pure and has a small profile. Good for having a few in there so if you like to wash them out so often you can rotate 1 out at a time so you don't take out you biological filter all at once. Each 4x4x1" brick is supposed to be sufficient for 375 gallons and each box comes with two bricks.

View attachment 17826
Super useful thank you for sharing randy

ofzakaria

Supporting Member
Some progress today.
Plumed the ATO
Added the 2nd pump to be used for chiller and chaeto or zeo reactor
Added my spare mp40..its going to be an overkill, so will look in to getting a used or new mp10.
Some electric work
Am so not used to such small work area in a tank lol. This tank bit challenging in term of pumps sizes..
Waiting on the light, chiller and garage insulation.
Still not decided on the controller. Will see if I can find cheap used one.

Attachments