License to krill

Ofzakaria's IM 25g Lagoon

ofzakaria

Supporting Member
pH will be high after lights are on peak for a while if you have a good amount of coral in there. No co2 being pumped out by you and your family, garage usually isn't air tight and corals should be producing a good amount of O2 during the day.

Here's one garage tank (~140 gallons total volume) with a ton of corals and 9-10 medium/large sized fish. Note that the respiration from corals and fish tank the pH at night. Even with a 20 gallon external fuge with chaeto, it's not enough to balance out the co2 generated by respiration of coral and fish.
View attachment 18391

Another garage tank (~70gallons total volume) that only has nems and 6 small fish.this tank is still at 8.4+ at midnight. Plus there's a fuge with chaeto on this tank.
View attachment 18392
Thank you randy. Look like high PH is not surprising given the tank in the garage..i see the same trend on yours as well..

max_nano

Supporting Member
setup the khg and linked it to the GHL p4. Rock solid reporting by the p4
So the bnc on the p4 are all configurable? The connection on my doser seems to be limited to only temp but I want to connect the aim so I can control the dosage with the khg automatically down the line. For now I am manually adjusting to create a baseline

ofzakaria

Supporting Member
So the bnc on the p4 are all configurable? The connection on my doser seems to be limited to only temp but I want to connect the aim so I can control the dosage with the khg automatically down the line. For now I am manually adjusting to create a baseline
Yes and no.
They have a temp and salinity bnc which is reserved for temp and salinity individually.
There are 2 BNCs that are configurable between ph and ox/redox.
Beyond the connector itself the circuitry is diffrent based on the digital input range. Temp and salinity needs to support much wider dynamic range than ph and redox. Thats why they have dedicated connectors for it.
This is true for any conntroller btw..

max_nano

Supporting Member
Yes and no.
They have a temp and salinity bnc which is reserved for temp and salinity individuals.
There are 2 BNCs that are configurable between ph and ox/redox.
Beyond the connector 8tself the circuitry is diffrent based on the digital input range. Temp and salinity needs to support much wider dynamic range than ph and redox. Thats why they have dedicated connectors for it.
This is true for any conntroller btw..
Good to know, I had thought they would be more universal. I don’t know why they have a temp probe for the doser though, it seems like anything else would be more useful but they may have added it so people who purchase the doser can keep a temp history? But do they really have temp history functionality for the doser but not the pmini controller?

I’d love to see the roadmap GHL has since they seem to have their hardware get to market before the software can support it, at least in my experience with the SA doser and pmini which I know are not their main products. However, it still is disappointing to buy a product and then have to wait for software updates to add fairly essential functionality.

ofzakaria

Supporting Member
Good to know, I had thought they would be more universal. I don’t know why they have a temp probe for the doser though, it seems like anything else would be more useful but they may have added it so people who purchase the doser can keep a temp history? But do they really have temp history functionality for the doser but not the pmini controller?

I’d love to see the roadmap GHL has since they seem to have their hardware get to market before the software can support it, at least in my experience with the SA doser and pmini which I know are not their main products. However, it still is disappointing to buy a product and then have to wait for software updates to add fairly essential functionality.
No, the bnc is just a connector standard. As a product designer, you can use it for whatever u like, its the circuitry behind the connector is what decide what the connector is used for..
I have a feeling the temp on the doser is for future usecases that are temp sensitive.
But worth to ask. I'll ask vinny and let u know what I hear.
Still good to have an extra function in a doser. No one has that. I will use the temp on the doser since my setup is in the garage so an extra chek point..

I hear you about the mini, thats why I go with the flagship p4. The way I see it, sooner or later I will want functions. The mini is built for specific users who need few controls and thats it. If you lookong for expandability I recommend the p4.

The mini is great product for the price in my opinion. I think they are doing their best to add functions to it and avoid having you to buy new conteoller, but there is a limit ofcourse. Latest and greatest is added to the p4, then lower tear products follow.

max_nano

Supporting Member
No, the bnc is just a connector standard. As a product designer, you can use it for whatever u like, its the circuitry behind the connector is what decide what the connector is used for..
I have a feeling the temp on the doser is for future usecases that are temp sensitive.
But worth to ask. I'll ask vinny and let u know what I hear.
Still good to have an extra function in a doser. No one has that. I will use the temp on the doser since my setup is in the garage so an extra chek point..

I hear you about the mini, thats why I go with the flagship p4. The way I see it, sooner or later I will want functions. The mini is built for specific users who need few controls and thats it. If you lookong for expandability I recommend the p4.

The mini is great product for the price in my opinion. I think they are doing their best to add functions to it and avoid having you to buy new conteoller, but there is a limit ofcourse. Latest and greatest is added to the p4, then lower tear products follow.
The mini just seems like a light controller with additional sensors. I could see it being used in a situation like my parents old tank where the display is upstairs and the sump is in the basement. You could have sensors in the over flow and the pmini in the display canopy to monitor display temp and control all the lights, then have a p4 setup in the sump room which does the real work.

I looked at it as an entry level GHL controller but I think that the P4e is what fills that spot, this seems like an add on for people in the GHL system with multiple tanks that wants to have controllability and montoring without needing a separate p4 for each tank, although I think the fact you went for the p4 for your garage tank counters that idea. I’m gonna guess the pmini has had terrible sales which is why there is such a lack of support. It isn’t marketed well and doesn’t have a clear space in their product line

ofzakaria

Supporting Member
The mini just seems like a light controller with additional sensors. I could see it being used in a situation like my parents old tank where the display is upstairs and the sump is in the basement. You could have sensors in the over flow and the pmini in the display canopy to monitor display temp and control all the lights, then have a p4 setup in the sump room which does the real work.

I looked at it as an entry level GHL controller but I think that the P4e is what fills that spot, this seems like an add on for people in the GHL system with multiple tanks that wants to have controllability and montoring without needing a separate p4 for each tank, although I think the fact you went for the p4 for your garage tank counters that idea. I’m gonna guess the pmini has had terrible sales which is why there is such a lack of support. It isn’t marketed well and doesn’t have a clear space in their product line
Correct, the p4e is great starter cause its fully upgradable without the need to chsmge the controller and at a good entry price.
Actually from what I collected talking to vinmu, the mini is flying off the shelve..now how accurate this is, is debatable. But again there are many tanks out there all they need is simple control. Think fresh water, fish only, multi tanks..etc. for these systems an apex or p4 make no sense..
But ad you said, for someone like me, the mini is waste of money since I know ill add function no matter what.
As a matter of fact I have done the math in the past and for someone like me who want functions, the total cost for the p4 is cheaper than if I go apex route and add all the modules and wires...
I was very close in to buying a p4e but my rational was to buy the same as what I have on the main tank so I also look at as an emergency swap of one day I needed to..

max_nano

Supporting Member
Correct, the p4e is great starter cause its fully upgradable without the need to chsmge the controller and at a good entry price.
Actually from what I collected talking to vinmu, the mini is flying off the shelve..now how accurate this is, is debatable. But again there are many tanks out there all they need is simple control. Think fresh water, fish only, multi tanks..etc. for these systems an apex or p4 make no sense..
But ad you said, for someone like me, the mini is waste of money since I know ill add function no matter what.
As a matter of fact I have done the math in the past and for someone like me who want functions, the total cost for the p4 is cheaper than if I go apex route and add all the modules and wires...
I was very close in to buying a p4e but my rational was to buy the same as what I have on the main tank so I also look at as an emergency swap of one day I needed to..
Oh we should put that in here. How much it would cost in modules to have an apex with similar functionality to a P4 and it’s insane I/O options out the box

ofzakaria

Supporting Member
Oh we should put that in here. How much it would cost in modules to have an apex with similar functionality to a P4 and it’s insane I/O options out the box
I'll try to dig it up and post it. It adds up rather quick with apex modules is what I remember..

Last edited:

ofzakaria

Supporting Member
I added some more dry rocks along side the live rocks and the 2 siporax bags.
It shoild be enough surface area for the biofiltration.
Also added ine of my urchins to have at the brown algae, he seems happy and eating it up..
Now just a waiting game.
Am hoping early next week we start seeing the green algae phase..

Attachments

max_nano

Supporting Member
What size are your returns? I have RFG nozzles from my last tank I can’t use if you want to try it. I believe they’re 3/4”

ofzakaria

Supporting Member
What size are your returns? I have RFG nozzles from my last tank I can’t use if you want to try it. I believe they’re 3/4”
I do not know what are these..vince once told me about them but honestly do jot know what it is lol.
Mind educate me a bit?

max_nano

Supporting Member
they are 3D printed nozzles with internal fins that makes the flow circular and somewhat random, it will somewhat alternate channels which helps prevent one single stream. They can be printed with a 3D printer or you can buy them from VCA. I went for VCA since they had a package with the loc line and Red Sea conversion, and they have really helpful customer service. One of mine broke and they sent me 2 replacements since they had revised the design
1597443288948.jpeg