got ethical husbandry?

Oh no... My lighting... Again. Something happen.

Hey guys, for some reason my K-2 Viper 70watt MH lighting keep turning off and on... Is my bulb died or my ballast is out? My bulb have a black spot in the middle of the double end.

It could simply be a bad design using bad parts. You might want to look a bit further to see if other people are having QC issues.

Thanks tony. I'm so stress out right now because my corals isn't having any lighting right now. If the ballast is out, then it must be the electrically outlet or cheap parts. Though I run it through a surge power strip, then a manual/non digital timer so it shouldn't be the outlet.

Link,
I have a backup bulb (15k Ushio) with 8mos of use. You are welcome to use it. A black spot in the plasma envelope usually means the bulb filament is fried. How old is the bulb?

-Russell

If the bulb is old it can lead to the ballast having to supply a higher voltage in order to keep the bulb lit, that in turn can overheat the ballast and cause it to shutdown.

I'm not saying that is the case, but often times that is the problem.

Vipers should be pretty well made. Have some old 70w bulbs laying around in SF if I can find them...Where are you located?

nanocube-guy said:
i'm located in Portola district, San Bruno Ave and Silver.

Can you pick up the bulb downtown 630am-2pm? Can just have it - It's an older Ushio bulb but still fires up and works well. Good spare bulb. If you want a cheap new bulb, I've found good success with the ebay bulb sold by hobbylighting. This is an artremis bulb and while I don't have a PAR meter, none of my anemones are stretching for light and corals are growing well. Color on the 20k is great. I was really surprised since a lot of ebay sellers sell complete garbage but these seem really good for the price!!!

I'm in Fremont. It sounds like iCon is in SF. But, if you find yourself down in the South Bay, you are welcome to it.

-Russell

nanocube-guy said:
icon, which part of downtown? today?

Well I don't have the bulb today so it'd have to be Monday. I'm right outside Montgomery BART station. I can bring it to work and you can drop by anytime you want

-Russell and Icon,
I am thankful for your consideration and help, but I had concluded that it's not the bulb, which didn't cause the problem. Thank you again for your help guys.
-Everyone, I would like to thank you for all your answers, suggestion, and support. I had concluded that the ballast is blown and there isn't anything I can do to get it repair.
-At this point I put in an order for another k-2 Viper, but more wattage output. I call a great guy, Chris at Aquatic Central, I know this guy since Dan hand over the shop, to place an for sure order of an 150 watt K-2 Viper system. Yup, no more wondering what if my light can handle sps, and other corals because 150watt is a sure powerful light. Goodbye under 70watt. With a usual output of 14000K, it's just perfect!!!!
-I had spend a lot of resources(time and money), and I learned my lesson the hard way. I better not forget to change the bulb anymore. I will write down my iphone planners to change every 9-10months. I'm not taking a 12month risk, because i had the old system for only 11 months. -So I want to get this really straight, if I don't change my bulb, my ballast goes bye bye? This goes for ever reef lighting type?

Back