Kensington Reefer

Supporting Member
This 4th edition was published in 1978.
I bought this new….way back!

Attachments

• 8685D0D3-C2BD-45FF-A5D0-84B9A380E275.jpeg
    8685D0D3-C2BD-45FF-A5D0-84B9A380E275.jpeg
    98.6 KB · Views: 136
I had a similar setup to the first picture!
woe, we’ve come a very long way!!

Attachments

• 82489883-27C5-4050-A32B-5C1F31CD6288.jpeg
    82489883-27C5-4050-A32B-5C1F31CD6288.jpeg
    85.2 KB · Views: 154
  • 75E907E2-C213-4E5F-A8E8-F7D01C303739.jpeg
    75E907E2-C213-4E5F-A8E8-F7D01C303739.jpeg
    150.7 KB · Views: 142
Reminds me of visiting the National Aquarium in the basement of the Dept of Commerce building in DC years before Baltimore National Aquarium was built. There've got to be photos on the webs (National Archives for sure) but having trouble locating. Thanks for this post! I'm going to start searching.

@Squist
I’m from Baltimore, I was a volunteer at the aquarium before it opened.
Those were good times!
Nice! Similar Baltimore and MD connection as you. Bowie. TSU. I was a member of Chesapeake Marine Aquarist Society (CMAS) mid-90s. Had some nice tank tours of Baltimore aquarium with the club. The old one in DC too, if I remember right. I remember the disappointment seeing that old relic of a “reef” tank. Historic tho. From the 60s or 70s.

Nice! Similar Baltimore and MD connection as you. Bowie. TSU. I was a member of Chesapeake Marine Aquarist Society (CMAS) mid-90s. Had some nice tank tours of Baltimore aquarium with the club. The old one in DC too, if I remember right. I remember the disappointment seeing that old relic of a “reef” tank. Historic tho. From the 60s or 70s.
Growing up in DC and actually visiting both aquarium as offten as I can, the best thing is dc aquarium is free even if it’s small.

Growing up in DC and actually visiting both aquarium as offten as I can, the best thing is dc aquarium is free even if it’s small.
Had no idea you were from DC--cool. (I meant "disappointment" to be very tongue-in-cheek BTW. Poor word choice. More like how one might describe or feel when they see the mobile quarantine facility on the USS Hornet. It's an Airstream camper :) Anyway, nice to know you're both from Baltimore-DC area.

More old school 70s reefing.

sticks in 1979 si[dot]edu.png

Title: Scientist Walter H. Adey Inspects a Created Coral Reef at MNH
Smithsonian Record ID: edanmdm:siris_sic_7411

TITLE
Scientist Walter H. Adey Inspects a Created Coral Reef at MNH

METADATA USAGE
Usage conditions apply

DATA SOURCE
Smithsonian Archives - History Div

AUTHOR
Farrar, Richard

SUBJECT
Adey, Walter H

SUBJECT
National Museum of Natural History (U.S.)

SUBJECT
United States National Museum Dept. of Biology

PHYSICAL DESCRIPTION
Color: Black and White; Size: 10w x 8h; Type of Image: Person, candid; Medium: Photographic print

CATEGORY
Historic Images of the Smithsonian

NOTES
Smithsonian Institution Research Reports Spring 1979

SUMMARY
In the dim recesses of the basement of the National Museum of Natural History, marine researcher Walter H. Adey and a team of co-workers succeeded in developing a functioning, growing coral reef. More than 130 species of Caribbean reef plants and animals have been transplanted into an 1,800-gallon tank with a balanced reef ecosystem whose functions and processes mirror the natural habitat. Adey is holding a magnifying glass to inspect the new ecosystem.

CONTAINED WITHIN
Smithsonian Institution Archives, Accession 98-016, Box 1, Folder: Research Reports Spring 1979

CONTACT INFORMATION
Institutional History Division, Smithsonian Institution Archives, 600 Maryland Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20024-2520, SIHistory@si.edu

PLACE
Caribbean Sea

STANDARD NUMBER
SIA2009-2204

DATE

TYPE
Photographic print

TYPE
Person, candid

TOPIC
Aquariums

TOPIC
Coral reef ecology

TOPIC
Marine biology

TOPIC
Smithsonian Institution--Employees

TOPIC
Invertebrates

TOPIC
Corals

TOPIC
Zoology

Last edited:
This 4th edition was published in 1978.
I bought this new….way back!
Wow very cool. Looks like the author was a very well known aquarist born in 1924 and died in 1976. 52 yo, so young! I wonder how he died. His books inspired many people to start salt water tanks in the 60's, 70's, and 80's.

Back