Cali Kid Corals

Old school skimmer air tuning and silencing upgrade.

I have an OCTO Classic and it was LOUUUD. Sometimes it ran wet but it was working. Depending on gate height, it was either wet or dirty in the body of the skimmer. Which just looks awful. Cleaning it was also a challenge. I didn't want to upgrade YET but wanted to pipe it down a bit.

Mike suggested I try the medicine bottle technique. I didn't want it to look weird and cheap so I was looking online for some parts and came across skimz silencer and a silicone tube.

1584922738685.png

But I also was watching this episode of BRS wet/dry skimmer tuning and notice I am missing the ability to adjust the air:

I picked up a push connect inline valve and stem to bar connector. This allowed me to add a valve inline between the skimmer and silencer.

AND WOW. After a week of running it, it's 100% much better! No more wet skims and no more dirty body. I was able to adjust the water level to the top of the body and reduce the air for a more solid performance on the foam. This produced a much better result. It's been very CONSISTENT. No more random wet overflows and less cleaning.

Not bad for around a $25 dollar upgrade. I don't have a need to upgrade anymore, which is a win.

Nice! I’m actually having similar issues with inconsistent skimming as well. Unfortunately, it’s a Skimz so I already have the same silencer lol. Glad it worked out for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think raising and lowering the skimmer also has an effect on air flow.
As you lower it, water pressure at the pump increases, reducing air flow.
Although not nearly as much as putting a valve on the air intake of course.

Nice! I’m actually having similar issues with inconsistent skimming as well. Unfortunately, it’s a Skimz so I already have the same silencer lol. Glad it worked out for you.

Does yours come with an in-line air adjustment? The one on the silences doesn’t do much. You might have to add it.

I raise mines up at a desirable water level using the gate. Then I slowly restrict the airflow until I get the results I want. It’s been consistent for weeks.

Does yours come with an in-line air adjustment? The one on the silences doesn’t do much. You might have to add it.

I raise mines up at a desirable water level using the gate. Then I slowly restrict the airflow until I get the results I want. It’s been consistent for weeks.

It does not - only the tiny screw/needle. You are right, it’s not very accurate and I don’t see how it adjusts air flow - either it’s open or not. I’ll pick up the in-line valve and see if that helps. I also run my airline outdoors which helps to keep noise very low and PH at a consistent 8.2-8.3

Back