got ethical husbandry?

One head of DS torch not extending?

IOnceWasLegend

Frag Swap Coordinator
BOD
I've had a DS torch for a couple months now. It has two heads, one of which has three mouths and is in the process of splitting into three separate heads, and another head that looks like it may be in the process of splitting into two. For the last ~3 days, the head that might be splitting into two hasn't been extending well. It still looks healthy (no flesh recession, it's not 'puckered', it's still extending a bit), no junk/etc in its mouth, and no changes in water parameters. The other head (3 mouths) is extending like crazy and looks super healthy and happy.

Is it common for torches to not extend as far at various points in splitting? Anything I should watch out for? Or is this just a 'corals are weird sometimes' thing that I should ignore?

Thanks!

Much appreciated for the advice.

look around it to see if there are any vermetid snails casting their "net" on it.

I checked; there was nothing there, thankfully!

Update, since I hate these types of threads where someone has a question and there's never any resolution: the torch has slowly extended more over the past few days, and it's pretty much back to normal now. Not sure if it was just 'the coral feels like being weird' or the ~5% reduction in lighting I did (the head that wasn't opening was closer to the center of the tank by ~1"), but yeah. Thanks for the input, all!

Back