got ethical husbandry?

Optimal AEFW Battle Plan...

Recently, I came across a successful infiltration of AEFW into my main tank. Perhaps the reason for the demise of multiple pieces and colonies after my tank fully recovered from some tainted trace earlier in the year.

So got me thinking about AEFW and best way to tackle the problem. Typically, my go to dip is melafix pond at 1 capful ( about 10ml) to 1 quart for strong quick dip... or 10ml to 1 Gal for dipping larger things or multiple pieces which buys me time to work since I can work through all the pieces properly. Knocks everything off and kills pods, worms, and AEFWs quickly.

For AEFW, the effective route is to dip EVERYTHING in the same session. I turn off my pumps so I don't blow any around into the tank as they can survive several days without food, and would like to avoid free floaters from getting back onto cleaned pieces. Dip, rinse, return to tank. Repeat.

From other reefers, I've heard everything from running tank fallow, fully QT pieces, treat with KZ flatworm stop, dip every 3 days... dip for 7 weeks, etc., etc. What a pain is all I can think of. So while dipping everything is a necessary evil, got me thinking that with how effective melafix dipping is, if you interrupt the lifecycle of AEFW mid way through before maturity, you can probably get away with fewer, more effective dips. Basically, knock off and kill all the adults... wait long enough to any and all eggs to hatch, and knock off the juvies. Done. Also got me thinking about in-tank pain-free treatment idea using melafix.

Unfortunately, I killed off all the adults, and most of the juvies before thinking of this to test. So while I was hunting for AEFWs from fellow reefers, I start doing more research. Lo and behold, Dr. Kate Rawlinson and her team had published their latest findings on AEFW that I did not previously know about. Answered most of my question on lifecyle.

TL;DR:
===
AEFW hatch and maturity window based on temperature:
1628188000807.png

"Assuming these hatchlings find a susceptible Acropora host, they would reach sexual maturity in approximately 31 days at 28°C (Table 2). Therefore, this Acropora colony should receive a second treatment between 13 (11 days embryonation period plus 1 or 2 days for settlement) and 31 days (approximate time to sexual maturity) following the first treatment (Figure 5). In this case (28°C) and at all temperatures, we recommend applying the second treatment at a time interval greater than the duration of embryonation, but less than the estimated time to sexual maturity"

====

So dip everything -- 2 dips minimum with second one around 3 weeks after first one (imo, as most of us run at 78F), 3 to be safe, 4+ if you are bored and really just liking dipping things... :)

That said, I was lazy and didn't bothed dipping one of my rocks with 3 small mini-colonies... but finally saw bite marks, so got around to dipping and found 3 adults yesterday. so likely, there are eggs... I'll be putting this window to the test with a full tank dip next month. maybe.

Of the 3 AEFWs I found, I plan on breeding a pair to run some more home experiments...if I can feed them enough frags. the third-wheel, will be used to test out minimum effective level of melafix to see if I can come up with an safe in-tank treatment plan. Will let folks know...

Last edited:
bit of a setback today... all my AEFWs died... before I could test my ideas out. Was just about to pull out 1 to test too... (is it wrong I am so bummed that AEFWs died?)

silver lining is I finally have eggs but that's going to take a while before they hatch (if they hatch) and mature enough to a point where I can run my tests.

Back