Jestersix

Original Steinhart Building

Kensington Reefer

Supporting Member
I unearthed these relics the other day…
Many fond memories there of all the South American cichlids at full size.

Attachments

• 45EA6C14-5EB8-4BAB-9F42-5BBDC85EFF10.jpeg
    45EA6C14-5EB8-4BAB-9F42-5BBDC85EFF10.jpeg
    90.4 KB · Views: 149
  • FB710DAF-B00C-4402-843B-849E70E581C7.jpeg
    FB710DAF-B00C-4402-843B-849E70E581C7.jpeg
    86.3 KB · Views: 159
Reminds me we need to get down to visit Steinhart before the crazy combo flu/Covid season starts and they have a chance to close again.

I unearthed these relics the other day…
Many fond memories there of all the South American cichlids at full size.
Awesome! I worked as a biologist at the old location for four years, best job I ever had and had the opportunity to collect native fish in the Russian River with Frank a couple times. Really loved that place and the old building was really unique and had a lot of charm.

Man that brings up nostalgia memories for me. While the new aquarium is light years beyond what the old "aquarium" area was, I do kind of miss the old lay out, the hall of gems was a permanent piece and not just a rolling exhibit, the space area felt all spacey and dark and while you can argue the new planetarium is way better it's more of an iMAX theater than a true planetarium anyways. Don't get me wrong, there definitely are benefits to the new place, but still have a sense of nostalgia for the old since it seemed every year we'd have a field trip for school there :D

Seeing the "Swamp" exhibit as a young kid was unreal. I can still hear my grandma telling me to stop leaning so far over the railing.

Man that brings up nostalgia memories for me. While the new aquarium is light years beyond what the old "aquarium" area was, I do kind of miss the old lay out, the hall of gems was a permanent piece and not just a rolling exhibit, the space area felt all spacey and dark and while you can argue the new planetarium is way better it's more of an iMAX theater than a true planetarium anyways. Don't get me wrong, there definitely are benefits to the new place, but still have a sense of nostalgia for the old since it seemed every year we'd have a field trip for school there :D

I'm sure it's because I'm looking through the rose-colored glasses of childhood, but I really miss the old layout. The new one feels smaller, somehow.

It felt like it was endless, that there were always more secrets or new exhibits or things I'd never noticed before. I loved the old dinosaur dioramas and, while the new reef tank is breathtaking, I could spend HOURS just watching the old reef shark exhibit.

I'm sure it's because I'm looking through the rose-colored glasses of childhood, but I really miss the old layout. The new one feels smaller, somehow.

It felt like it was endless, that there were always more secrets or new exhibits or things I'd never noticed before. I loved the old dinosaur dioramas and, while the new reef tank is breathtaking, I could spend HOURS just watching the old reef shark exhibit.
You're definitely not the only one to share those thoughts... I feel the same, as do several of my friends. The old one had such character, and had stuff hidden all over.

Ended up settling on chemistry in school, and have spent my working life in front of mass spectrometers as an analytical chemist. Mix of working at biotech companies and an instrument manufacturer.

I will never forget walking through those pillars with the three (?) entrances and the signs hanging above them. Was a little kid but that had me so excited. I never forget how devastated I was when they shut it down and were building the new one. I do really enjoy the new place too though, all this has me thinking I will probably go this weekend

Back