Neptune Aquatics

Pest ID?

jstiltne

Supporting Member
Some of my acros are looking a little unhappy, so I Iodine dipped them and about a dozen of these were left in the cup. Any idea what it is?
IMG_6583.jpg

Flatworms are actually one I’m semi-confident it’s not, it had some more buggy appendages that I tried to catch on video but it stopped moving them

I think they’re bad for SPS, in that they seem to be opportunistic feeders and will bother corals. I remove them from my QT and aquariums for dang sure.
At one point I found these on sps as well, and thought they were an issue. I later discovered there was actually white/gray bugs which we're eating polyps. Not a lot of info out there on ostracods that I could find though, so possible they were bugging corals too.

Last edited:
At one point I found these on sps as well, and those ght they were an issue. I later discovered there was actually white/gray bugs which we're eating polyps. Not a lot of info out there on ostracods that I could find though, so possible they were bugging corals too.
it’s possible ostracods just get a bad rap like ciliates because they jump in to clean up the damaged tissues, but they have those sussy hook shaped pest legs that look like they’re for clinging to a host.

Wow thanks for the help everyone! They do look the most similar to ostracods, which could be opportunistic feeders in this scenario. I am wondering if anyone has their hands on some Interceptor just in case they are red/white bugs, but after dipping all my sps most seem happier; the issue could have stemmed from my 2K gyre being down for a day before I bit the bullet and got an MP40. Might just make the coralRx dip a weekly endeavor!

Back