got ethical husbandry?

Pico 5-Gallon

This is my first time dipping into saltwater tanks and I have decided to ignore the overwhelming sentiment after much research and jump in with a pico 5-gallon tank.

It is my understanding that this will be exceedingly more difficult than even a nano 20-gallon tank and even if successful in the short term, it will likely not do well long term. That being said, I hope that with the experience of other reefers combined with my persistence that this build is relatively successful. I hope to gain the hands-on understanding necessary for long-term coral keeping. After a year or two with this tank I will decide if I want to continue in the hobby and at that time get a larger setup.

I prefer the look of smaller tanks both freshwater and saltwater because they can look stocked sooner and look better when less stocked. When I started considering what kind of saltwater tank I wanted, this was at the forefront of my mind. Looking into it further, I valued the amount of content online specifically related to Spec V builds and the breadth of DIY/alternative hardware options for it. I didn't plan on jumping in so soon and but I found cheap Spec V on Craigslist and couldn't say no.

The Setup:
Spec V
MJ606 pump
Random Flow Generator Return
3D printed media basket
Orbit Marine IC Light with Loop Control
Hydro Theo 50W heater
Float based ATO with 1L water bottle
5(ish) lbs dry rock
Live sand

Stocking goals for the tank:
5-6 coral - probably mostly softies and LPS although I do like the encrusting SPS varieties. Really I just want whatever is going to be happy and healthy in the tank

The Cycle:
--All measurements were taken using color compare API equipment. I know this is woefully unprecise however, I don't have the funds to get Hana checkers at the moment so I figure at least it gives me a general idea about the status of the tank --
Temp has been 80 degrees F throughout the process (with some fluctuations of less than 1 degree)

08/25/2021
Started cycling the tank using mixed Tropic Marin Pro salt with RO water measured to 35 on my refractometer. Added advised amount of Dr. Tim's One and Only for 5 gallon along with appropriate amount of ammonia drops. No filter media in tank. No light

08/26/2021
Ammonia 4 ppm. Nitrite 0 ppm. pH 8

08/27/21
Ammonia 4 ppm. Nitrite 0 ppm. pH 7.4. Angeled return valve at surface to agetate water and increase gas exchange.

08/28/21
Ammonia 4 ppm. Nitrite 0 ppm. pH 7.8

09/02/2021
Ammonia steady at 4ppm. No change in ammonia measured daily between 8/25 till 9/2 so I dumped in the rest of the bottle of Dr. Tim's. It said you couldn't overdose it so I was there to put that to the test.

09/03/2021
Ammonia 2 ppm. Nitrite 2 ppm. pH 8.2. Added 10 drops ammonia (about 1/2 the recommended about to bring the NH3 up to 4 ppm). With these changes in pH, I realize I need to get a more accurate reading device to monitor it more closely. I researched different products to help stabilize pH but my KH reading was the same throughout so I am not sure if I should be too worried until I see these readings post cycle.

09/06/2021
Ammonia 0 ppm. Nitirite 5 ppm. pH 7.8. Added 20 ammonia drops. I realized later I shouldn't have with the nitrite so high but the deed was done.

I will keep this build thread updated if there is interest.
I plan to become a supporting member of BAReef but have to wait till it is in the budget. I figure my tank being fully cycled will be the sign (along with my bank statement).

This is my first time dipping into saltwater tanks and I have decided to ignore the overwhelming sentiment after much research and jump in with a pico 5-gallon tank.

It is my understanding that this will be exceedingly more difficult than even a nano 20-gallon tank and even if successful in the short term, it will likely not do well long term. That being said, I hope that with the experience of other reefers combined with my persistence that this build is relatively successful. I hope to gain the hands-on understanding necessary for long-term coral keeping. After a year or two with this tank I will decide if I want to continue in the hobby and at that time get a larger setup.

I prefer the look of smaller tanks both freshwater and saltwater because they can look stocked sooner and look better when less stocked. When I started considering what kind of saltwater tank I wanted, this was at the forefront of my mind. Looking into it further, I valued the amount of content online specifically related to Spec V builds and the breadth of DIY/alternative hardware options for it. I didn't plan on jumping in so soon and but I found cheap Spec V on Craigslist and couldn't say no.

The Setup:
Spec V
MJ606 pump
Random Flow Generator Return
3D printed media basket
Orbit Marine IC Light with Loop Control
Hydro Theo 50W heater
Float based ATO with 1L water bottle
5(ish) lbs dry rock
Live sand

Stocking goals for the tank:
5-6 coral - probably mostly softies and LPS although I do like the encrusting SPS varieties. Really I just want whatever is going to be happy and healthy in the tank
Spec V's are great... I ran multiple for years. Only real different between that and teh Evo 5 is the light...and the trim. lol.

I just harvested a bunch of Kenya trees along with some skeletons, if you wanna seed and add hardy and prolific softies to the tank, lemme know. I am in Mountain View.

The Kenya Trees will likely go to compost by this weekend.

Spec V's are great... I ran multiple for years. Only real different between that and teh Evo 5 is the light...and the trim. lol.

I just harvested a bunch of Kenya trees along with some skeletons, if you wanna seed and add hardy and prolific softies to the tank, lemme know. I am in Mountain View.

The Kenya Trees will likely go to compost by this weekend.
You are so generous! I low-key read your entire 28-page tank journal yesterday. It was good reading. Highs, lows, drama, intrigue. Mad props for your dedication throughout everything.

I have a different light on mine so it should be conducive to coral growth compared to the Spec V or even the stock Evo light.

Whats your opinion on kenya trees taking over? It is such limited space I would rather not introduce something that I'll be constantly bushwhacking back in the future. Not to mention, the tank definitely isn't cycled yet as the nitrite levels are still sky high...

You are so generous! I low-key read your entire 28-page tank journal yesterday. It was good reading. Highs, lows, drama, intrigue. Mad props for your dedication throughout everything.

I have a different light on mine so it should be conducive to coral growth compared to the Spec V or even the stock Evo light.

Whats your opinion on kenya trees taking over? It is such limited space I would rather not introduce something that I'll be constantly bushwhacking back in the future. Not to mention, the tank definitely isn't cycled yet as the nitrite levels are still sky high...
Well -- I got kenya trees whenever you're ready. I like em and always keep some.

I think for a 5G EVO /Spec, kenya trees are great. Fills volume, gives movement, and can help with nutrient export -- low light requirement, hardy. They grow proportional to nutrients in your tank. I have a 2.5G pico that I put a kenya into for nutrient control reasons... haven't really grown much as I don't have to feed the tank directly (just harvest pods to toss in now and then for the marine betta babies).

When it comes to nanos and picos, I like to aim for as little maintenance as possible. Frankly green hairy mushrooms do more taking over than kenyas... but they are also a good choice for easy tankscapes

just an example... one of my setups before i switched things up

1631325565403.png

Welcome to the club!!! I've got some crushed coral or smaller rocks in my sump if you want to jump start your cycle.
Oooh, I may take you up on that. Where are you located?
Also, I am 11/10 on board to become a supporting member. I’m really trying to wait until my tank cycles and pace myself with aquarium related expenses.

Hahaha... "pace...aquarium related expenses...." that's always an honorable goal most of us fail at in this hobby
Oh, I noticed on your 13+ tank count. I hope that if I say it enough to myself, it will be a remote possibility. I blame Craigslist for making me feel "thrify" and whoever dared create the internet. You all on BAReefers are going to be on that list sooner rather than later too. All the beautiful coral and amazing builds are inspiring.

Back