Cali Kid Corals

PIF: Mini brittle stars

JVU

President
BOD
I have mini brittle stars breeding in my aquarium, leaving me with approximately a million of them. They are good clean-up crew (detritivores) and harmless to other inhabitants. I probably have a couple different species of them, all acquired as hitch-hikers. Most are around an inch or so, some a little larger.

They hide around frags and racks so I’m usually just giving them away as I give away frags, and sometimes just discarding them when I do maintenance. They are pretty cool though so I thought I’d post them separately here too.

They will eat dying zoas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I haven’t ever noticed them eating zoas, dying or otherwise. I have a lot of zoas and a lot of mini brittle stars. Eating dead tissue would be a benefit and fit well in their cleanup crew role. I know there are a lot of different types of mini brittle stars though.

Wow, do you have so many that you see them during the day? I know I have a couple but rarely see them and primarily it’s just an arm while I’m looking around after dark

Wow, do you have so many that you see them during the day? I know I have a couple but rarely see them and primarily it’s just an arm while I’m looking around after dark
Yeah mostly just arms for me too if you just look at the tank. But any time I move anything like a frag plug, rack, any equipment like seaweed clip even my glass scraper, there are a bunch hiding there.

Welcome to BAR!

I’m in Walnut Creek. When you click on a person’s name often it has their location in the pop up window.

If you become a supporting member you’ll have access to a lot of other perks, including free corals, equipment borrowing, sales, events.

It was great meeting you John. Super generous portions of mini bristle stars, sponge, pink birds nest, and even a very unexpected Nirvana zoa frag. Thank you! Definitely will PIF in the future when I get to that point.

Reactions: JVU
Back