Jestersix

Pimp my regulator

iani

Supporting Member
A few weeks ago my regulator went down. I picked up another regulator (thanks Dudley) as a quick fix. I then remembered that the people on the planted tank forums were always talking about DSRs (dual stage regulator). After asking some questions to the local expert on the subject (Matt on SFBAAPS) I decided on getting a Matheson 3810 regulator off ebay. The Matheson I picked up on ebay has a full stainless steel body and was brand new. I got a steal of a deal on the regulator at 115 shipped. Retail price on one of these is ~1000 dollars.

regulatorsmall-October062011-3.jpg

regulatorsmall-October062011.jpg

From what I've gathered the big difference between a dual stage regulator and a single stage regulator (what all typical aquarium regulators are) is that the dual stage will keep the working pressure constant no matter what the tank pressure is. A constant working pressure will give you a rock solid bubble count through the life of a co2 tank. No more fiddling with your needle valve to get the right bubble count.

This regulator was made for a different type of gas, so I ordered some stainless steel cga320 fittings off the internet. I also purchased a stainless steel check valve swagelok/nupro 1/3 psi 1/8" FNPT.
regulatorsmall-October062011-17.jpg

I also went with an all stainless steel post body kit from someone local.

Kit included

1/4" to 1/8" npt reducer
regulatorsmall-October062011-6.jpg

1/8" npt nipple
regulatorsmall-October062011-7.jpg

1/8" female npt elbow
regulatorsmall-October062011-9.jpg

manifold for block solenoid
regulatorsmall-October062011-11.jpg

numatics stainless steel block solenoid
regulatorsmall-October082011-3.jpg

Swagelock 22 series metering valve with adapters
regulatorsmall-October062011-14.jpg

First I removed the working pressure dial
regulatorsmall-October062011-4.jpg

Next I removed the 1/4" valve from the output.
regulatorsmall-October062011-5.jpg

The reducer went in
regulatorsmall-October062011-8.jpg

Then the elbow and nipple
regulatorsmall-October062011-10.jpg

Manifold went on the elbow
regulatorsmall-October062011-12.jpg

Metering valve then got added
regulatorsmall-October062011-15.jpg

Added the check valve and the JBJ bubble counter to the elbow after the metering valve
regulatorsmall-October082011.jpg

And attached everything together
regulatorsmall-October082011-2.jpg

Finally the solenoid was added to the block manifold
regulatorsmall-October082011-4.jpg

regulatosmallr-October082011-5.jpg

I have yet to add the stainless cga 320 fittings, as I am waiting for them in the mail. I will update when I add them.

Hmmm that is a fancy toy you got there, dual stage keeps the pressure constant? How does that work? I would think pressure would be dictated by the canister of CO2 regardless of the regulator, but I guess if the supply side (tank) is already at a pressure above what you want on the output the regulator could in theory correct itself. Gotta keep my eyes open though, I've been thinking of doing CO2 + Calcium reactor and ditching 2 part, but the constant fiddling of the reactor due to dropping pressure has always worried me.

lets see if this is a real or dynamic link...
http://www.scottecatalog.com/scotttec.nsf/74923c9ec562a6fb85256825006eb87d/057078ba0233fc8a85256b8f0059ad09?OpenDocument

Next time we'll save you the wrenching and get you some nifty swagelok adaptors!

MTG regulators for $100 brand new? Sounds like they fell off the truck.

2 stage tells you bottle pressure which is very nice.

houser said:
Next time we'll save you the wrenching and get you some nifty swagelok adaptors!

MTG regulators for $100 brand new? Sounds like they fell off the truck.

2 stage tells you bottle pressure which is very nice.

Dave,

LMK if you can get any swagelok adaptors...I still have to put mine together. ;)

Dave or Tony, what do you think about this solenoid. This is for my second regulator haha.
Its a 3 way solenoid that allows venting. I purchased it off ebay just now for $18.00.
53JJ8DGB

http://www.peterpaul.com/catalog/12-13.pdf

If it exhausts then you better have that check valve on that gas line or you just gave your pressurized reactor an overflow path back through the exhaust port!!!

I will have two check valves like this setup. The bubble counter is a check valve along with my swagelok check valve. The reactor also runs pressureless.

Built this one up for Jon (Jar). All stainless body concoa 432. All swagelok/nupro parts including metering valve and check valve.

regulator-August252012.jpg

Haha, I'm sure you are going to love it. Eric and I also pressure tested the regulator. No leaks.

Here is Eric's.

IMAG0620.jpg

Yes, that and the following:
1. Dual stage regulator, not subject to the rise and fall of the the co2 tank pressure. When the CO2 starts to run out, the pressure will tend to increase than eventually decrease until the CO2 runs out. With your typical run of the mill regulator you will first see an increase in the bubble count (called end of tank dump) then a decrease in the bubble count. DSR regulators are immune to this issue.
2. 316 Stainless barstock regulator body. Brand new these regulators cost ~1000 dollars.
3. 316 stainless post body, the above two make it very corrosive resistant to salt water.
4. The metering valve has much finer adjustment when compared to your typical needle valve. Its a lot easier to dial in the bubble count.

Back