Jestersix

Planted Tanks

I know someone who is asking me advice about planted tanks which I don't know much about. I was curious if there's also a Bay Area "planted tank" club I point him toward similar to this or if anyone here with experience would be willing to offer up some advice to him. I believe it's a fairly new tank with one plant and he's looking to plant more.

Last edited:
Also if your friend is in the vicinity of Albany aquarium then I highly recommend them. It’s not a fancy shop by any means but what they lack in updated facilities they more than make up for with the wealth of knowledge they are willing to share. Good people and a great place to dip your toes into planted tanks.

I was keeping Amano style high-tech planted tank for awhile. SFBAAPS is a great resource and also barrreport - original forum of Thomas Barr who is from Sac and famous for promoting his own fertilizing regime. In Bay Area we have priceless resource - Aqua Forest aquarum store in SF.

I was keeping Amano style high-tech planted tank for awhile. SFBAAPS is a great resource and also barrreport - original forum of Thomas Barr who is from Sac and famous for promoting his own fertilizing regime. In Bay Area we have priceless resource - Aqua Forest aquarum store in SF.
When were you last in contact with SFBAAPS? Their website looks a little outdated and it doesn't look like you can access their forum without an approved account. Just curious if it's worth recommending or not. Thanks for the store recommendation! I just know the good reefing stores which aren't always the best for planted...

I used to do lots of planted tanks. Prefer low tech ones though as i am lazy..

Best is the Waldstat (sp?) method... using clay dirt from my yard as substrate. Can't get simpler than that!

I also recommend SFBAAPS, I never got very involved but the few people I did meet were very helpful and I got lots of cheap plants and fish from everyone. I still have a planted tank with some discus and angels

Back