Neptune Aquatics

PSA: New Red Sea Salt Mix formula

RandyC

Supporting Member
FYI. Got an email about a new formula for Red Sea salt - both blue and pro buckets. No details given except it supposedly dissolves quicker and can be used in 20 minutes.

472B994E-6C5A-4D90-99F0-33F730FD82B9.png

Thanks for posting this.

I'm planning on switching from Reef Crystals to Red Sea (not Pro). Reef crystals mixes to a really high 11 dKH. I'd rather start with something lower, and dose it up to where I run my tank (around 9.5).

I've used Red Sea Pro in the past, and seem to recall it mixed very quickly. I wonder why the push to dissolve faster? I'm perfectly happy to mix my saltwater overnight, haha.

Mixing quickly and completely are important to me mainly because it means there are fewer impurities. This is one of the main reasons to use Tropic Marin Pro over less expensive options in my opinion. So this is welcome news, but of course we need more details, as Randy said, and some real world experience.

I got the same email Randy mentioned. It also says “Red Sea Salt & Coral Pro Salt undergo meticulous ICP testing for each and every bucket” which is interesting. I’m gonna assume they test large batches and then pack it into buckets, as opposed to actually testing each bucket separately like they are implying.

Do you guys who use Red Sea salt now know if that is already the case, and if they include the ICP results with the bucket?

I got the same email Randy mentioned. It also says “Red Sea Salt & Coral Pro Salt undergo meticulous ICP testing for each and every bucket” which is interesting. I’m gonna assume they test large batches and then pack it into buckets, as opposed to actually testing each bucket separately like they are implying.

Do you guys who use Red Sea salt now know if that is already the case, and if they include the ICP results with the bucket?

You can use the batch number on each bag/bucket of salt and enter it online to get some parameters, but not the ICP test results.

They have always claimed they do ICP testing even on the older batches.

Reactions: JVU
Back