Jestersix

Purple up (or other similar products) or any suggestions for cranking up the coralline algae

L/B Block

Supporting Member
Has anyone ever used any of the coralline products to help crank up the process?

In the first tank, it was pretty impressive right outta the “box.” But after 2 1/2 yrs in water storage -it needs a good kick to get back.

I see the reviews on Amazon for all sorts of products but frankly I don’t trust any of them. Not sure if folks here have experience with them.

Open to other ideas as well.

TIA.

Lawrence

I have purchased and used these 2x. Both times they didn’t work.
CEEF86B4-5879-48BD-9EC6-132B4852A29E.jpeg

Most of us can spare some coralline scrapings off our glass, a snail, or frag plug that have some on it. I tried the stuff linked and didn't notice anything. I was later given an encrusted floating thermometer that I scraped off and BOOM. Coralline started growing.

Apologies if too obvious, but it’s important to make sure your water parameters (esp Alk) are kept good for hard coral growth since the same parameters benefit the coralline algae growth.

Seeding with rock from another tank works great. Shavings work even better, and have less risk of pest contamination.

Also asterinas stars eat coraline algae so if you have those you’ll want to keep their numbers down (that’s my issue).

Apologies if too obvious, but it’s important to make sure your water parameters (esp Alk) are kept good for hard coral growth since the same parameters benefit the coralline algae growth.

Seeding with rock from another tank works great. Shavings work even better, and have less risk of pest contamination.

Also asterinas stars eat coraline algae so if you have those you’ll want to keep their numbers down (that’s my issue).
Good to know! Thanks

I didn't realize they did this. My coraline algae has exploded and its a pain to scrape off the back wall. I wish they were more effective at it, but all I ever see them do is go along the glass eating regular algae. Oh well. I had this discussion with Leo during the swap. He can't get his coraline to grow and I can't get mine to stop. I guess I should be careful what I wish for.

G

Good calc and alk and no urchins
The "no urchins" part is important. I started with a tuxedo urchin as part of my CUC in my tank and got confused why I wasn't seeing coraline.

After seeing small patches only in places the urchin couldn't get to, it clicked.

My old tank grew so much corraline that it created shelves of corraline. My current tank has nothing. Aside from other things the old tank had a calcium reactor running on it. Current tank had no calcium supplement except kale top off.

Back