got ethical husbandry?

Purple up (or other similar products) or any suggestions for cranking up the coralline algae

Has anyone noticed if high/low pH correlates to coralline growth rate in the aquarium? Some research shows coralline slows down its calcification but increases photosynthesis in the ocean when they intentionally inject CO2 in the region to bring the pH down locally. I’m in the camp of high pH but my urchins eat all the coralline.

I have found that modern LED lights do not seem to grow Coraline like the old days.
I get Coraline on the front acrylic, which is not directly in the light, and I get a lot in semi shaded spots.
But I never the thick encrusting all over like before.

The solution .... get some nice encrusting coral instead.

I have found that modern LED lights do not seem to grow Coraline like the old days.
I get Coraline on the front acrylic, which is not directly in the light, and I get a lot in semi shaded spots.
But I never the thick encrusting all over like before.

The solution .... get some nice encrusting coral instead.
Lack of real UV you think?

Mine grows like nuts in one tank and then very little in the other. Water chemistry is very similar and lots of shared rock or corals over the years One difference is that the LEDs on each tank are oriented 90 degrees different (high coralline is perpendicular to the tank, parallel with low coralline). Maybe it's a lack of light spillage on the back/front like we had in the halide days?

Back