High Tide Aquatics

Real Live Rock

Good Morning!

I've acquired a bunch of CaribSea rock for my new tank build, and I want to get my hands on 3-4 small pieces of real ocean live rock (Fiji preferred) to inoculate with. Is it possible to get this anymore? I found a place online (https://www.saltybottomreefcompany.com/Live-Rock-Specials_p_128.html) that propagates dry rock in the Gulf of Mexico, but can't seem to find anywhere that sells truly natural "grown" rock.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Just thinking that adding a few piece of real live rock to my CaribSea reef will better establish an ocean-like ecosystem than using bottled products. There seem to be lots of reefers out there struggling to grow SPS with the current rock options on the market, and I can't help but think that there are microbial dynamics at play in ocean reefs that we are struggling to replicate in our home reefs because we aren't inoculating with ocean rock.

I could be way off here, but for me this situation is analogous to everything we are learning about the human microbiome and the role is plays in our over-all health.

The only import these days seems to be the Walt Smith concrete-based mariculture rock from Fiji, is that what you are talking about? The rest of the available live rock is FL mariculture which is based on land-excavated aragonite rock. Let me know if you find anything else...

You might try Aquarium Arts in Bakersfield (aquariumarts.com). That is where I purchased my live rock. Actually, I drove down, spent the night, picked up the rock and drove home. Bakersfield is a bit of a drive for one person. Two drivers makes it easier. After adding my rock, a few days later tons of pods appeared on the glass. These kept fish happy for many years.

Back