Reef nutrition

recommendation calcium reactor setup

jhuynh

Supporting Member
hey reefers,

I am looking for recommenations on a calcium reactor. currently i am dosing 1440ml kalk, 60ml alk, 36ml cal daily. ever since I have been working 6 to 7 days since covid, I want to make everything on auto pilot. my work projected it will be like this until early of next year since we are backed up on orders.

there were times my 2gal kalk container would run empty or the 1gal alk mixture would be empty. hoping to see what would be the easiest and most "bullet proof" setup out there currently. I want to add, I do plan on upgrading to a IM 150INT down the line without the wife's approval also. was looking into a geo reactor. I know a solenoid is important also.

price is not an issue.

tia,
john

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ashburn2k

Supporting Member
Can’t go wrong with geo dual chamber reactor and carbon doser, those setup are bulletproof for my 300g system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jhuynh

Supporting Member
Can’t go wrong with geo dual chamber reactor and carbon doser, those setup are bulletproof for my 300g system.

i was actually looking at a geo cr612 or cr618 with carbon doser and kamoer pump fx-stp already.

Last edited:

ofzakaria

Supporting Member
how big is your system? If you can stomach the cost, dastaco is the way to go.
Set and forget, no tinkering and comes all in one, just add co2.

nly04

Supporting Member
I have the Dastaco A-2 that I just bought but too big for my stand. I am thinking to sale it back.

jhuynh

Supporting Member
how big is your system? If you can stomach the cost, dastaco is the way to go.
Set and forget, no tinkering and comes all in one, just add co2.
it's a red sea 350. I'll look into a dastaco since I never heard about them. thanks for the suggestion

ofzakaria

Supporting Member
it's a red sea 350. I'll look into a dastaco since I never heard about them. thanks for the suggestion

Thats like 75g right? Whats your total volume tank+sump?
Whats your bio load. Whats your coral load and coral types u carry?

jhuynh

Supporting Member
Thats like 75g right? Whats your total volume tank+sump?
Whats your bio load. Whats your coral load and coral types u carry?
about 73 display with 18gal sump. like 91gal total volume. about 10 fish. approx 55+ sps frags, and 7 lps

ofzakaria

Supporting Member
about 73 display with 18gal sump. like 91gal total volume. about 10 fish. approx 55+ sps frags, and 7 lps

I think dastaco c2 will be good for you.
Ask @Rostato about the dastaco c2. If you can stomach the price its the way to go.
If you compare apple to apple you will see the price is not thsy higher than ither reactors once u add up all the costs what u get with dastaco is that it come all in one. All from same company. Truly set akd forget and the most automated in a sense that u do not jeed to worry about bubble. Ph reading or sjything. U set it and decide the amount of dosing with simple knobe..
Thats my 2 cents

jhuynh

Supporting Member
thanks for the suggestion. I have looked at the dastaco c2 and it's not that much higher of a difference in price when compared buying a geo with carbondoser and kamoer pump. I'll pull the trigger on it since it will fit the stand nicely.

Last edited:

ofzakaria

Supporting Member
thanks for the suggestion. I have looked at the dastaco c2 and it's not that much higher of a difference in price when compared buying a geo with carbondoser and kamoer pump. I'll pull the trigger on it since it will fit the stand nicely.

Which unit u going with? The c2 or the geo?

iani

What is so good about the dastavo? How does it make it easier than any other reactor with an added peristaltic pump?

ofzakaria

Supporting Member
What is so good about the dastavo? How does it make it easier than any other reactor with an added peristaltic pump?
With dastaco there is no dependencies on things like ph prob, peristalit choice or solniod choice.
The reactor is one single solution that is automated to produce certain all dosing per the alk setting you choose on the controller.
The controller control both solniod and the peristaltic to dose alk based on the user specified setting.
The controller also will give you alarm when the solniod or the peri pump are not working or if the co2 is empty..

- Its easy to setup and dial in almost immediately.
- All parts included as part of the solution, so any debugging or faul the same vendor(ams/unique coral) take care of it
-Stability of dosing is pretty good
- quality of each part is very good and been in the karket long enough to be judged consistent..

Hope that helped

Last edited:

Vhuang168

Supporting Member
If I am not mistaken, the dastaco uses an optical sensor to maintain CO2 saturation in the reaction chamber. It doesn’t measure the actual CO2 level in the water.

As I understand it, the theory is that for a given cylinder at a given pressure, once you have a certain saturation, the volume of water to gas is fixed. So it pumps CO2 into chamber until the water level drops to a certain point. If it is not at required saturation, the water level rises as it absorbs the CO2 in the chamber.

ofzakaria

Supporting Member
If I am not mistaken, the dastaco uses an optical sensor to maintain CO2 saturation in the reaction chamber. It doesn’t measure the actual CO2 level in the water.

As I understand it, the theory is that for a given cylinder at a given pressure, once you have a certain saturation, the volume of water to gas is fixed. So it pumps CO2 into chamber until the water level drops to a certain point. If it is not at required saturation, the water level rises as it absorbs the CO2 in the chamber.

U r correct.
But it does give alarm when co2 is out because of this sensor.

jhuynh

Supporting Member
Which unit u going with? The c2 or the geo?
after reading reviews, more reefers prefer the dastaco. I will be getting the dastaco c2. again, thanks for your input and your suggestions. according to unique corals, the c2 is 10 - 15 days back order. I have time to rearrange my stand to accommodate all the equipment. once it is set up, i will PIF my 4 head jebao doser for all the input everyone has given me. be on the look out for my post in the next few weeks.

Last edited:

A Aaron

Supporting Member
I use the vertex dual chamber and love it. Honestly In my eyes the kamoer pump and carbon doser are what makes the setup work bullet proof and super accurate and easy to tune. You gotta spend up front but I’m glad I did. I don’t have to change anything for months at a time.

jhuynh

Supporting Member
I use the vertex dual chamber and love it. Honestly In my eyes the kamoer pump and carbon doser are what makes the setup work bullet proof and super accurate and easy to tune. You gotta spend up front but I’m glad I did. I don’t have to change anything for months at a time.
I looked into a geo with a carbon doser and kamoer pump for a while. I wanted to see if there were other alternatives. @ofzakaria suggested the dastaco and I went with it. this hobby isnt cheap and I think it would be a good investment. having to work so much since covid, 6 to 7 days a week - 10 to 12 hours a day, barely have time for my tank let alone my family. I prefer to have it on auto pilot and not worry about it.

yes it is expensive up front, but in the long run it will be cheaper since everything will be dialed in and have no headaches - besides refilling the media and/or co2. also it would also be the last piece of equipment I would need (hopefully).

now I gotta get 2 co2 tanks (one as back up) and some media. shipping the reactor to my work so my wife wont know.

Last edited:

ofzakaria

Supporting Member
after reading reviews, more reefers prefer the dastaco. I will be getting the dastaco c2. again, thanks for your input and your suggestions. according to unique corals, the c2 is 10 - 15 days back order. I have time to rearrange my stand to accommodate all the equipment. once it is set up, i will PIF my 4 head jebao doser for all the input everyone has given me. be on the look out for my post in the next few weeks.

U will not regret it. I love dastaco. I really do.
When u get it feel free to ping me or Chris for questions.