Reef nutrition

recommendation calcium reactor setup

jhuynh

Supporting Member
sounds good @Rostato. I'll replenish your extra media once it comes in. thanks. pulled the trigger already. I picked the latest delivery date - end of the month. hopefully they will have the media in stock in time to ship out both items so I dont have to bother anyone.

order confirmed!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ofzakaria

Supporting Member
sounds good @Rostato. I'll replenish your extra media once it comes in. thanks. pulled the trigger already. I picked the latest delivery date - end of the month. hopefully they will have the media in stock in time to ship out both items so I dont have to bother anyone.

order confirmed!

If u need bit more I can also spare you, I do not have enough to fill all your reactor but maybe half.

jhuynh

Supporting Member
If u need bit more I can also spare you, I do not have enough to fill all your reactor but maybe half.
thanks for the offering, but I'm hoping the media will be in stock before the reactor gets shipped. I'll update you once the reactor gets ready to be shipped to see if the media is in stock or not

ofzakaria

Supporting Member
Btw just FYI, the triton media is just as good snd am planning to try it next year. Lots of good reviews on it.
This media also compatible with dastaco

Vhuang168

Supporting Member
I prefer to use old coral skeletons for CaRx media. Whatever trace elements that are in the skeletons get returned to the water.

jhuynh

Supporting Member
@Rostato where do u get your co2 refilled? looking to see who does it locally. prob get a 10lb and 5lb tank

Da_Neefer

Supporting Member
@Rostato where do u get your co2 refilled? looking to see who does it locally. prob get a 10lb and 5lb tank

There is a hydroponics shop in Concord right next to Concord Aquarium that exchanges 20lb tanks for $20-30. The initial tank purchase is about $130 + 1st fill last I checked. It's the most economical exchange I've found in the east bay. They don't refill and don't work with any other size tank. 20lb exchanges only.

ashburn2k

Supporting Member
That is cheap! Airgas charges me $50-60 now just for exchange on 20lb tanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

nly04

Supporting Member
@Rostato @ofzakaria Do you put your Dastaco near or under your stand? I don't have that much space so I plan to get a cabinet or shelf to put it next to my tank. it will be around 3ft away, do you think the pump will have any issue to pump that far?

Rostato

Supporting Member
@Rostato @ofzakaria Do you put your Dastaco near or under your stand? I don't have that much space so I plan to get a cabinet or shelf to put it next to my tank. it will be around 3ft away, do you think the pump will have any issue to pump that far?
I wouldn't. Mine is about 2 ft from my sump and it's probably a bit too far away. I also had to put the reactor up on bricks to get it high enough. Check my build thread. I go over all the pitfalls.

Vhuang168

Supporting Member
Feed pump is a peristaltic pump.

A few ft is not going to make a difference.

Rostato

Supporting Member
Feed pump is a peristaltic pump.

A few ft is not going to make a difference.

That's what I thought. But the instructions say it needs to be no more than around 12” mine is much longer and it's probably okay, but one thing I learned is to follow directions.

Last edited:

Vhuang168

Supporting Member
That's what I though. But the instructions say it needs to be no more than around 12” mine is much longer and it's probably okay, but one thing I learned is to follow directions.
Wonder why that is required.

ofzakaria

Supporting Member
I prefer to use old coral skeletons for CaRx media. Whatever trace elements that are in the skeletons get returned to the water.
This "dead skeleton add trace elememts" I do not believe in neither do i think its real. I do not think its substantiated
If its real. Then believing the media will also release back po4
I have it near the sump under the tank.yoir plan should work just as well.

Rostato

Supporting Member

Just FYI the dastaco is only compatible with the dastaco media or tritons media. The others will melt to a mush in the low Ph environment.

ofzakaria

Supporting Member
Just FYI the dastaco is only compatible with the dastaco media or tritons media. The others will melt to a mush in the low Ph environment.
You are correct,
the suggestion you see often on forums that dead skeleton add beneficial traces is unsubstantiated claim. I do not believe it.
If that's true why stop there... dead skeleton will also release nutrients, no3 and po4 and whatever that might have killed it.

I do not think there is much benefits, traces wise, by using dead skeleton because i really do not know how these trace elements mantain its presence in a dead skeleton that is made out calcium carbonate (basically limestone)..useful trace elements is consumed by coral what makes coral is algae, calcium carbonate skeleton and bacteria. I cannot wrap my head around believing a calcium structure contain trace elememts that will be released back to the system. Given how unstable some of these trace eleemnts are..maybe there is some deposits of some tracea, but I cannot imagin it to be sufficient enough. If your system need trace elements where wc is not enough, i bet carx dead skeleton media will not fix that problem and avoid you traces dosing. Further more, you have to ask yourself of such traces exsist why it exaist in the skeleton snd was not consumed by the coral? What if these traces are toxic like barium and lithiuma do aluminum..

I rather add pure ca and alk and avoid any chances of adding any impurities through the dosing... since that is the main purpose of using a reactor.

Last edited: