Neptune Aquatics

Rejuvenation of Sandbed

MolaMola

Supporting Member
My 105g mixed reef is approaching 6.5 years since establishment. Wow, time really flies. It needs a serious going-over, including the sandbed. Over the years the sand has been reduced gradually through removal during cleaning/water changes and possibly low pH in the past. After reading a lot of posts by members, I am hoping to clean the remaining sand and add additional sand. I intend to keep a sandbed because I like it, want students to see sand, and keep some sand dwellers.
Over the years I have done many (but not nearly enough!) water changes by blasting top layer of sand with turkey baster and removing water with 1" or so tubing. The sand always has detritus or silt, especially in hard to reach areas. I have not been diligent with cleaning it! I have never had many fish but we have fed corals and nems with plankton and meaty bits. I would like to start stocking fish soon. I was shocked to discover the sand is less than 1" deep in some areas! I have to check, but it might be 2-3" in other areas.
Think it is safe to disturb and siphon clean the sand since it is not deep, then start adding additional sand weekly through a tube?
Should I concentrate on small areas at a time with the cleaning and new sand? Or clean everywhere first, then gradually add thin layers of sand everywhere?

I’d say you’re over thinking it a little. I’d give the sand a good gravel vacuuming, maybe do 1/3 or 1/2 at a time (you can add some ammonia remover/detoxifier after if you’re worried), and add as much live sand as you want after each time, or at the end once you’re all done.
Using a tube works well, or you can slit the corner of the bag, put it in thank, and dump it out at the bottom with pumps off as well

I’d say you’re over thinking it a little. I’d give the sand a good gravel vacuuming, maybe do 1/3 or 1/2 at a time (you can add some ammonia remover/detoxifier after if you’re worried), and add as much live sand as you want after each time, or at the end once you’re all done.
Using a tube works well, or you can slit the corner of the bag, put it in thank, and dump it out at the bottom with pumps off as well
So are you saying I can do that in a big tank full of livestock or empty out a bunch? It is full of rock and coral.
Also, I hadn't really considered sand yet - live vs dry, so glad you said that.

Side question - if you had a sealed bag of live sand from a year and a half ago, would you consider it no longer live, but fouled? Should I open, rinse, and dry it before using?

So are you saying I can do that in a big tank full of livestock or empty out a bunch? It is full of rock and coral.
Also, I hadn't really considered sand yet - live vs dry, so glad you said that.

Side question - if you had a sealed bag of live sand from a year and a half ago, would you consider it no longer live, but fouled? Should I open, rinse, and dry it before using?
It should have a date on it I think. Not sure how long they last.
Yes it should be fine to do like I said in an established tank.

Back