High Tide Aquatics

Resetting Apex JR - Anyone have a display module I could borrow?

Bolicks

Supporting Member
Recently got a used Apex JR, but frustratingly, the owner doesn't know the password. I need to reset it to link it to my Fusion account, and it seems that doing this via the display module is the most straightforward way. Does anyone have one I could borrow, by chance?

I don’t have a display module, but if you reach out to Neptune they may be able to help. Their customer service is quite good.

The login to the local dashboard is default admin/1234
I tried that - unfortunately, those credentials aren't valid. I've also contacted support, which have given me instructions to reset the controller via a reset firmware. Unfortunately, those instructions don't seem to work :(

In case you're interested, here are the instructions. Curious if anyone here has had success with this.

Please follow the following directions:
  1. Download the reset firmware revision here
    https://www.neptunesystems.com/downloads/firmware/apex_reset_login_4.10-7A10.zip
  2. Unzip the attached file
  3. Download our most recent revision of firmware here:
    http://www.neptunesystems.com/firmware
  4. Confirm a hardwired Ethernet connection from your computer to router and router to APEX
  5. Disable your wireless card if you have one
  6. Open the flash utility
  7. Click the browse button to change the existing "aqua4.hex" file from the production firmware (from step #3) with the reset firmware "aqua4.hex" file (from step #1)
  8. On "network address" line put XXX.XXX.XXX.225, the XXX.XXX.XXX needs to match your gateway (Example: If your gateway is 192.168.1.1, then you would enter this in the network address:192.168.1.225)
  9. Un-plug the AquaBus cable attached to the Apex Base Unit
  10. Turn off firewalls or any anti virus software on the computer
  11. Click the update firmware button in the Apex utility
  12. After you see attempt 1 failed on the progress line, plug your APEX back in (Reconnect the AquaBus cable to the Apex)
  13. Confirm the reset firmware update has been completed
  14. Your unit has now been reset

Now you will need to re-update the firmware to the latest production firmware
  1. Open the flash utility (If closed)
  2. Click the browse button to change the existing "aqua4.hex" file with the production firmware "aqua4.hex" file (the file downloaded in step #3)
  3. Click the update firmware button in the Apex utility
  4. Once the update is completed
  5. Click on the magnifing glass icon to see if the Apex IP address has changed
  6. Select the Apex on the list then click on "OK"
  7. Update the web pages
  8. Login to your unit in the normal fashion. default:admin password:1234
I've been following till step 11, but never see the progress line: "attempt 1 failed". I've tried letting the firmware flash go overnight, with no joy.

Pretty sure I did that once long long ago with an old Apex.
The idea is that you WANT the program to fail at some specific point, and do that by unplugging it.

Pretty sure I did that once long long ago with an old Apex.
The idea is that you WANT the program to fail at some specific point, and do that by unplugging it.
Yep, that's what I'm attempting to do! Unfortunately it doesn't seem to want to fail after I unplug the apex :)

Back