Kessil

RODI Leaks.. How to prevent?

maxs55

Supporting Member
Hi all.. So I just had a leak in my living room from a connector on my RODI setup that sprung loose. Luckily I was at home so caught it within half an hour, but the connection was right after the booster bump so it was pretty high pressure and still made a pretty big mess.

What are you guys doing to prevent RODI units from leaking? I thought about moving it outside into a shed but it would get really hot which I thought probably wouldn't be good for the unit.

My RODI unit is in a cabinet so I thought about adding kind of a drip tray in there, so any leak detectors in the cabinet are sure to get triggered.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

max_nano

Supporting Member
Wow I never knew those existed. Thanks for sharing those. I have been worried since my unit is under the sink and I wouldn’t notice a leak very quickly.

Corallus

Supporting Member
As @rygh mentions, make sure the tubing is properly cut.
When I setup my BRS RODI, virtually every piece of tubing needed to be recut and seated in the fittings. A tubing cutter makes getting good, square, non-burred cuts waaaay easier.

Galoot

Supporting Member
As @rygh mentions, make sure the tubing is properly cut.
When I setup my BRS RODI, virtually every piece of tubing needed to be recut and seated in the fittings. A tubing cutter makes getting good, square, non-burred cuts waaaay easier.
What he said....plus make sure there is no added pressure from weight or a tight radius where you have couplings. Make sure everything is nice and straight.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

jccaclimber

Supporting Member
1. Make sure your push connect fittings are actually all the way in. People tend to not push them in far enough.
2. A good square cut is nice. This is reasonably doable with a new razor blade for those who don't have the fancy cutter. Scissors tend to make poor cuts.
3. I use one of these water alarms. Not wifi enabled, but it sounds like a smoke detector so you aren't going to miss it if you're nearby, and the price is good: https://www.amazon.com/Glentronics-...ocphy=9031961&hvtargid=pla-349312978973&psc=1
4. Drip tray, and a drain. I tend to like running my RO system in general in a place that has a drain. This can be a traditional drain, correctly sloped garage, drip tray with a hole punched to the outside of the structure, whatever.
5. Heads up that booster pumps tend to eventually start seeping at the motor to pump seal as well.

maxs55

Supporting Member
thanks all for the replies. I'm definitely going to invest in some more leak detectors and maybe a line cutter as well.