Jestersix

rose petal macroalgae

i thought i was done contributing but i'm not..

here is my favorite macroalgae- i call it the rose petal because it looks like it.

regular dbtc rules apply.

my conditions are

-make frags for at least 3 ppl before trading
-give me a frag back when i get back into the hobby

this algae is very easy to care for. it is low maintenance, very low chance of going sexual (all algaes do when pushed to their limit), mildly invasive (do not place it against another rock or it will attach)

onto the history of it.. lol, yeah theres history to this algae. i've picked a piece of rubble up from the fish store and it had a pinky sized leaf of this growing out. i was LFS hopping for algae back then.

i have enough for i think 3-5 ppl

unknownrhodophyta2.jpg

unknownrhodophyta3.jpg

How is this on the nutrient export scale? I've been trying to decide if I want to put macros in my display or not so I'm up for advice. I don't think there is clear cut way to calculate if my tank could use it or not?

I've been picking what I think is chaeto out of frags from the swap since I brought them home :) It looked like eye lashes on some of them.

[quote author=kinetic link=topic=3162.msg34817#msg34817 date=1203758961]
it'd be cool to put with a frogfish in a frogfish fuge type setup, you could get the frog to turn dark red =)
[/quote]

is that right norman? the frogfish will blend in w/ its environment?

levi,

it doesn't grow fast for me. i wouldn't use this solely for nutrient export (chaeto & caulerpa do a much better job). its more of a display macro. adding some coloration to the display while exporting nutrients.

[quote author=bluenassarius link=topic=3162.msg34861#msg34861 date=1203804963]
[quote author=kinetic link=topic=3162.msg34817#msg34817 date=1203758961]
it'd be cool to put with a frogfish in a frogfish fuge type setup, you could get the frog to turn dark red =)
[/quote]
is that right norman? the frogfish will blend in w/ its environment?
[/quote]
That's what some people say, though I haven't seen it happen myself.

I have seen them go from juvenile to adult coloration, so that could be what some people are seeing.

I had one go from black with red dots to yellow with red purple splotches and faint black rings. The yellow with rings is to camouflage with sponges.

I had a red one turn white with dots.

Too bad neither one stayed as cool looking as when I first got them.

Back