Reef nutrition

Salt Water from AC at 1.028

svreef

Webmaster
BOD
Just bought some this weekend and I’m measuring 1.028 salinity. It’s not due to calibration issues. Why would that be? Seems odd.

Yes, of course. I’m just surprised that it’s not in a “normal” range. Wonder if people use it directly in their tanks as it is.

Yes, of course. I’m just surprised that it’s not in a “normal” range. Wonder if people use it directly in their tanks as it is.

I’m actually not that surprised - especially during the spring and summer. With water evaporation and taking out and adding water to fill bags, it’s gotta be pretty hard to keep up with a truly consistent salinity value at a busy LFS.

I’ll be the first to raise my hand! Yes, I just throw coral into my coral dip now mixed with tank water straight from the LFS bag or fish straight into QT. I haven’t drip acclimated any fish or coral for a couple years now. I think coral are hardier than people give them credit. I do temp acclimate though.

I thought you meant the premixed water they sell?
I do drip acclimate fish from them depending which system they come out of. Often times they keep the one closer to the front low. Today it was like 1.016. Most fish will not like going from that to reef salinity quickly.

If it was from the bag, I checked their salinity before and it was 1.026. This was about 2 months ago. They do have alot of tanks and it probably evaporate pretty fast!

How did you check the salinity? when was last time you calibrated your device. Did you check the salinity with another salinity device?

Just bought some this weekend and I’m measuring 1.028 salinity. It’s not due to calibration issues. Why would that be? Seems odd.

I agree with others that you might want to let them know. In case one of the employees, (or the water wholesaler) is not doing the best job.

I believe you because I recognize your screen name. But...
In general, when saying something negative, it is really good to mention your test methodology.
I have seen a lot of negatives statements, then you dig deeper, and the user had no clue.
Just so everyone gets in the habit.

I tested 5 samples at the same time with the Milwaukee. 4 of them from my tanks all read 1.024 and 1.025. The fifth, from the water jug read 1.028. Mind you, the jug had a lower temperature than the others, but I waited for a minute for each sample to reach room temp.

Back