High Tide Aquatics

Sand Carpet Anemone?

Yeah your guess is as good as mine, carpet anemones don't have tentacles like that, almost reminds me a bit of those anemones you can find here, but those are cold water.
I'd ask for a scientific name from them if you're at all interested, so you can do some proper research. It's one thing to say "Hey that coral looks cool" and get it, anemones are different beasts.

Funny they're both the same price and have similar colors (just in different areas). I will say the first one definitely has a lot more tentacles inside the oral base part than the LTA picture. But I never really stared at LTAs long enough to really know how they "should" look.

Odd when I click "new arrivals" my virus software pops up a malware warning, just FYI to people who have done it.

But that said, holy crap those indo "colonies" are outrageously expensive, they don't look like very big colonies, and I mean sure they're colorful but come on... still going to try to go with the "indo is rare" angle since they just recently opened exports back up?

What is funny is, I'm almost 99% positive those are all mariculture pieces coming in from indo. Shipping wild is non-existent (and illegal), so everyone has access to the same Indo coral from the few farms that are cleared to ship at the moment as far as I understand.

like this piece at ASD
7F795D32-EF1A-4C9D-87CD-1EC7E4B3CB2C.png

I picked this piece up a couple of weeks ago that eerily looks similar, but for no where near that cost. There’s a little pink in theirs, but I’m guessing that it’s just color spectrum differences or mine hasn’t colored up as much yet.

under 14,500k no filter on my iPhone (Radion G4’s)
A82CC329-0AF0-4756-86A0-A7259E29B05D.jpeg

under 14,500k setting with filter
0ADD199A-1217-441C-BC68-7C3A53F55631.jpeg

Last edited:
What is funny is, I'm almost 99% positive those are all mariculture pieces coming in from indo. Shipping wild is non-existent (and illegal), so everyone has access to the same Indo coral at the moment as far as I understand.

like this piece at ASD
View attachment 14099

I picked this piece up a couple of weeks ago the eerily looks similar for no where near that cost. There’s a little pink in theirs, but I’m guessing that spectrum differences or mine hasn’t colored up as much yet.

under 14,500k no filter on my iPhone Radion G4’s)
View attachment 14101

under 14,500k setting with filter
View attachment 14100
That's a nice piece!

ASD can be pretty hit or miss. I’ve had the best luck with their zoas, mushrooms, and a Duncan. Their pictures are heavily blue and can be deceiving, but I’ve gotten a free frag with each order and their prices on eBay can be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah indo corals are mariculture.

And yeah the fact the complelely black out the background shows they are trying to make the colors pop that much more. But I'd take the one Randy has all day long... but nowhere near that price.

But all the more reason to get a coral you can see for yourself. unless you dont care too much, i.e. 10 random acros or whatever.

Tell me more. I have two BTAs, two rock flowers and a mini carpet. I’m really fond of them and want to have more varieties.

It’s inconclusive but many people have found that mixing species of anemones can cause them to die. Most people think there’s some kind of chemical warfare going on.

Yeah pretty much that.

I mean hell I have a maxi mini carpet anemone in my tank as well, as well as a couple of the micro minis floating around with 2 BTAs. At the very least make sure running carbon, even if occasionally, is in your game plan.

Oh wow. Had no idea. Very interesting. I’m sure this chemical warfare also affects other livestock.

to be fair, a lot of things may have chemical interactions in our tanks. You have a relatively small body of water that's not getting diluted at all. Why did that coral die, even though my parameters are spot on, the light is great, there's no pests? could be something as simple as chemical warfare going on.

Best way to identify anemones is to look under the disk. Color of foot and verrucae will help determine species.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Back