got ethical husbandry?

Skimmer question

So I am looking for some guidance before it happens. This week I will be filling my tank (with water I mixed not NSW) with a used sand bed that has been washed and dead rock. Should I expect my skimmer to be working or will it take a while to start skimming. I tested the skimmer a couple of weeks ago in a bucket with NSW so I know it works well. But with non sea water (DI water mixed with salt) will it skim since the water is so clean?

depends on the skimmer and the exact state of the washed sand and deadrock you put in.... but I would say yes. Some skimmers can take a couple days to get going so the sooner you get it going the better. I put a skimmer in a brute with a bunch of deadrock and a couple pieces of live that I am cycling.... produced skim same day.

Anytime you put in new water it should skim the crap out of it. Especially with washed sand & rock. The sand, like Eight said, obviously will have crap in it. And whenever you add new stuff that is very big, it will almost always bring in crap that needs to be skimmed. Either way, you should turn on your skimmer. Even if it just gets a little out, its better than nothing.

You get bubbles with skimming because various organics and protein compounds ...well..without getting technical, they make bubbles last rather than pop really fast. This is why clean water doesn't really skim well. Once you gunk up your water, you should be able to start skimming. It may take a few hours/days to for everything to 'balance' and skim optimally with less micro bubbles.

Back