Kessil

Smart Power strips/DJ power strips

max_nano

Supporting Member
I’m looking for a good power strip I can mount on my stand. If you have one you would recommend, let me know. I want one that I can use to switch off things for maintenance that aren’t on my GHL power bar. Either through an app or manual switches like the DJ power bars have. there’s a lot of options so Im just curious what people in the club are using.
Thanks and have a great day!

sfsuphysics

BOD
Staff member
I like the "dj power strip" fairly in expensive, and as long as you don't put any high current stuff on it (i.e. high wattage heaters) seem to work ok. Not sure about brand though, on Amazon there's a billion and 2 different versions.

max_nano

Supporting Member
this is what I use
Nice, that one was what I had been looking at. It has good reviews. I’ll probably go with that one and figure out a way to make it work with my stand.

I like the "dj power strip" fairly in expensive, and as long as you don't put any high current stuff on it (i.e. high wattage heaters) seem to work ok. Not sure about brand though, on Amazon there's a billion and 2 different versions.
Yeah it is overwhelming, that’s why I’m curious what people have had success with. And I have my one heater on the GHL strip, doesn’t take much to heat 25 gal.

I have these on all my tanks. Love 'em!

Kasa Power Strips
That’s a cool option too, do those buttons next to each outlet switch them on/off? With the built in control I could put more basic on/off stuff like a fuge light on this and save the GHL plugs for more complicated scenarios

ashburn2k

Supporting Member
Nice, that one was what I had been looking at. It has good reviews. I’ll probably go with that one and figure out a way to make it work with my stand.

Yeah it is overwhelming, that’s why I’m curious what people have had success with. And I have my one heater on the GHL strip, doesn’t take much to heat 25 gal.

That’s a cool option too, do those buttons next to each outlet switch them on/off? With the built in control I could put more basic on/off stuff like a fuge light on this and save the GHL plugs for more complicated scenarios
That WiFi strip buttons are actually status light, you can however control the port via app like apex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Coral reefer

BOD
Staff member
I don’t trust the dj ones. Have had several swtches fail. Not sure if it’s too much currents or too many on offs or what, or if there are different higher quality ones, but i don’t really trust them.

Da_Neefer

Supporting Member
I just bought the 6 plug Kasa power strip. Setup was pretty easy and I really like the feature set. Going to have the two T5 plugs, AP9X, Skimmer, Return, and Fuge light on it. If not for timer control, then for the power usage monitor. It'll be nice to know how much juice this tank uses.

RedLeader

Supporting Member
Yes they do. Here's a pic of part of the control for my reef:

Screenshot_20200805-130520_Kasa.jpg

rygh

Webmaster
Staff member
I made one.
What you really want is a power strip where each output is on an independent GFCI.
So if one trips, the others stay on. Powerheads fail, and you don't want entire system shutting off.
Nobody sells that.

sfsuphysics

BOD
Staff member
I think the big problem with the powerstrips is that if you open them up, and I have to repair/remove melted plugs, is that each plug has a push in terminal connector that probably isn't rated for very much current, even though the claim the whole thing is on a 15 amp breaker, and each plug is rated for 15 amps (at least they claim), the connections to said plug may not be, and out of every one that failed on me that has always been where the failure point is. Now if you run relatively low powered stuff on them, i.e. pumps less than 50 watts or so, then you really shouldn't have a problem.
Also any looseness and your connection may arc and arcing is very bad because it creates a LOT of heat, like melt the plastic levels, and it just happens again and again and eventually poof plug magically no longer works (and you may get that nasty plastic/electrical smell). Now it is totally fixable or can be made right, the ones I fix I typically just solder the wires directly to the terminals, but when you buy something you usually don't want to have to take it apart and make it right.