Neptune Aquatics

So i took a picture with a microscope...

Srt4eric

Vice President
BOD
Can anyone tell me what this is?
20200828_164754.jpg

Looks like dinoflagellates. Don't appear to be prorocentrum dinos. Has your CUC been dying? My best guess is ostreopsis, but if you can get a clearer focus on the front of these, I can help you narrow down what subtype you're dealing with.

Also, question: are your phosphates and/or nitrates bottomed out, and is this a new tank?

Edit: reason I'm asking is because your treatment strategy will depend on the type you have. Are they on your sand too?

Last edited:
Looks like dinoflagellates. Don't appear to be prorocentrum dinos. Has your CUC been dying? My best guess is ostreopsis, but if you can get a clearer focus on the front of these, I can help you narrow down what subtype you're dealing with.

Also, question: are your phosphates and/or nitrates bottomed out, and is this a new tank?

Edit: reason I'm asking is because your treatment strategy will depend on the type you have. Are they on your sand too?

These were my parameters last week. I can test in about an hour and give new results.
Kh: 9.9
NH3: 0
Ca: 430
NO2: .05
NO3: 10
PO4: .03
SG: 1.025

Nitrates at 5ppm
Phosphate at .03ppm

Back