got ethical husbandry?

starter controller

I would like to purchase a used controller? Maybe new.... what do you recommend? I want to make things smooth round here what u rec? I see Jr for sale is it good or should I just go to bigger apex or our local controller lmk!!

What are you gonna use the controller for? Do you need the features of the advanced controller? I got the full apex setup cause I figured it would be cheaper than buying parts later, I also got the WXM module for controlling vortech pumps.

Do you have a calcium reactor, plan on dosing based on ph? Any basic controller can handle temp/heater/chiller. You have reefbrights, are they dimmable, some controllers support ramping of lights but I don't use it and its very hardware dependent, not with just the controller but with the lights themselves.

What do you want the controller to do?

Mine controls:
Dosing of top off freshwater/kalk with a float switch/pH probe
Turns off pumps during different feeding cycles
lights
wave pumps/modes/night waves
Heater/chiller
Email/SMS alarms and alerts
Logs - very handy for trending changes in temp and pH
Remote control of everything from my phone! Thats the best part.

I will say that the apex is a bit harder to setup than the reefkeeper. Lots of odad programming statements and no wizards.

Gomer said:
for temp, pH, and 4 controlled outlets, the ReefKeeper Light is only $99.

Yes, without the power bars. Its kinda useless without the power bars, cant control the heater without it.

I thought it came with a 4 outlet power bar
http://www.store.digitalaquatics.com/product-info.php?pid111.html
edit: the $99 unit doesn't have pH. Personally, I don't do anything with pH. Perhaps if I was dosing Kalk or had a CO2 reactor.

eldiablosrt8 said:
I don't plan on vortechs.... I need temp,Ph, controlled lights, nothing huge but I need a lil help lol

If this is all you want then the RKL Mikey (hooked) is selling is a DEAL! That stuff would cost almost $200 new.

If you want more then I'd suggest an Apex like Greg suggested.

Comes with one power bar 4 outlets hooked has one with two for an amazing "grab it price" for an entry level controller; it would be a nice upgrade for a Reef-Keeper 1

SL1 (ORP and pH) or SL2 (salinity and pH) module is needed for a pH probe. When I had the RKL I used the SL2 with a pH probe. Unfortunately DA's salinity probe is still in beta stages.

My first thought when I saw this topic, Mikey's controller is perfect for you :D

The RKL can handle 4 modules, so 2 PC4 strips (which you can easily fill up but there are other ways to not fill them up), plus one of the pH modules, and you have a free one for down the road if there's some handy thing that comes out that you'll want.

r0ck0 said:
Gomer said:
for temp, pH, and 4 controlled outlets, the ReefKeeper Light is only $99.

Yes, without the power bars. Its kinda useless without the power bars, cant control the heater without it.

Mine did come with 4 outlet power bar. No pH probe, though. I think to add a pH probe you need to order the SL1 module too.

Not to hijack just a couple questions to Roberto; Do you have any Temp. probes available? I just need a cheap solution.
Also, does the RA accept an additional AC outlet box?

Thx

Back