Reef nutrition

Still battling algae, but what should I do with coral in QT?

lhuynh

Supporting Member
I've been battling cyano and hair algae since I started dosing to get my NO3 and PO4 in better balance (2+ months now) in my Reefer 750 XXL. Regular testing and ICP results show there's nothing in my water parameters that would indicated something egregiously wrong. That said, most of the LPS in the tank are pretty much goners. Blasto looks good and growing. Acans are holding on and at least a couple may be turning corner. Zoas look fine but algae is certainly bugging them.

I've been QT'ing a bunch of frags in a Biocube 32. LPS are doing fine except for some injuries delivered by the space invader chalice and another chalice tipping over and getting nuked bc it landed on some zoas/palys.

The SPS are actually encrusting and growing ever so slowly. Definitely decent given light deficiency. However, they don't look so happy. Red planet's encrusting base is looking pale and another part of it looks pale. I know they all would benefit from more light and better flow.

Should I just take the leap and move things over to the main tank? They've been in the Biocube for almost 3 months. They'd benefit from more light and flow. Just worried that the main tank is still not settled. Damned if I do. Damned if I don't?

Last edited:
I do. It's just the OEM lights. PAR is about 150-180 where the SPS are, so it's low for an extended period, I think. I am not that experienced, but that's my assumption based on my research. I'm ready to move them and would have already if not for main tank issues.

Back