High Tide Aquatics

Suggestions to reduce extra nutrients in tank

Hi all,

I recalled reading somewhere in the forum about ways to reduce the excess nutrients using Chaeto and some kind of mangrove plants.

Does anyone have any extra chaeto to spare? Also, what kind/type of mangrove plant should I be using. I have been seeing some algae spike (hairy and red algae) in the tanks.

Thanks =)

Mangroves are too slow of a grower to help with nutrients. Cheato will help but you should find the source and take care of that. Also GAC and GFO, will help a lot as well as frequent water changes and more careful feedings. Only feed enough so that all of the food is consumed and nothing is left over to decompose.

Not sure where you live, but I have a softballs worth of Chaeto I could give ya. Even has pods in it :) I live in the northern part of SF.

I have anthias, a moorish idol, on top of my large fish load, which requires tons of feedings. I only use the chaeto and bi-monthly (every two weeks) 10% water changes for my nutrient export and I always have '

rgonzalez: Thanks for your offer. I'll take it. I live in South San Francisco, so it should be a short drive.
Can you let me know when I can pick it up? =)

jellygeee said:
r0ck0: What do you mean by GAC and GFO?

GAC= granular activated carbon.
GFO= granular ferric oxide.

GAC is good for removing nutrients and GFO is good for removing phosphate. If you are having nutrient problems using GAC should be one of the first choices.

Well, if you really like tinkering and experimenting, I would suggest an algae turf scrubber.
Good web link here:
Turf scrubber link
Once set up properly, your nitrates/phosphates will disappear forever.
Note that it takes more than that to get rid of all the algae.
Definitely a lot better than Mangroves or Chaeto.

But if you want something guaranteed to work right way, don't even think about it.
Use more standard practices. Less food, better skimmer, GAC/Phosban.

Thank you for all of your responses and advices.

r0ck0: I used to run a carbon inside my skimmer. I'll try that again. I didn't have a lot of space since I am using a HOB skimmer and I don't have a sump.

rgonzalez: E-mail sent. Thanks.

rygh: Thanks for the link. The process looks impressive, but kind of complicated as well. I'm not sure if I have enough space since I am using a tank without a sump.

I would say hang on back refugium. They sell them at petsolutions or marinedepot. Or you could put it in the DT, but that looks weird.

That depends on the nutrient input :) in some cases WC is all you need. take Jake Adams EcoReef #1... no skimmer, no filtration, just WC and little to no nuisance algae :)

Back