Kessil

Super glue question

Klems

Supporting Member
Had a minor structure collapse and am out of my coral glue...what kind should I use from Home Depot...or is it all the same? Loctite, gorilla glue, rapid fuse from Dap?

If you are going to apply it underwater be sure to use one in a collapsing tube so it doesn’t suck water back in.

I use BSI and it is widely recommended for reef tank use. I don’t think HD carries it. It is sold locally in some other hardware stores and hobby stores:

Also I can’t remember where you live, but if you want to pick it up from me in Walnut Creek, you can have some club BSI glue.

Live down in SJ, but was able to stop by Petco and grabbed some of the IO holdfast Play-Doh....but don't really like the look of it in the tank if I can avoid it. Also picked up these two from HD.

Attachments

• IMG_20191230_203039951.jpg
    IMG_20191230_203039951.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 248
There is this one that has Trimethoxyvinylsilane
Thanks, I didn’t realize some of the glue formulations under these brands are not cyanoacrylate-based. That is actually very useful.

It’s also worth noting that there are several different chemical formulations of cyanoacrylate, and not just gel vs liquid. CA glues were initially (and still are) used for surgical closure and there are some types better suited to contact with tissue.

I often hear people say they are all equivalent but they are not. I’m not saying I know which is better or safer in reef keeping, only that people shouldn’t assume they are all the same just different brand names. That’s why I try to stick to brands with a good reef keeping track record.

Is this as thick as the BSI gel?

No. Definitely not as thick. Though somewhat viscous (maybe 1/2 that of BSI gel) I did use this on bone dry rock.

In a pinch? Maybe the baking soda trick?

Back