Jestersix

Thank God it's Done.......

Simmering on the stove is 5 gallons of bolognaise. My wife’s birthday is tomorrow and the family is coming over for dinner. I’ve made their grandmothers’ “nana’s” recipe that no one in the family has had since she passed 7 years ago. It’s going to be a big surprise when they arrive and get a traditional Sunday dinner they all grew up with…

Pork roast, roasted potatoes, roasted root vegetables, rigatoni with bolognaise, 2 salads (at the end of the main course), a cheese and fruit course, plus appetizers and cake.

How the hell did they stay thin? :O

-Gregory

reminds me, my in-laws have tomatoes coming out of their ears, I need to make a big pot o sauce ... but damnit if I don't have the freezer space for it.

sfsuphysics said:
reminds me, my in-laws have tomatoes coming out of their ears, I need to make a big pot o sauce ... but damnit if I don't have the freezer space for it.

Dehydrate and store in Ziplocks(TM) or in jars with olive oil.

-Gregory

Try this....

Oven Dried

The weather must cooperate for sun drying. If this is not the case in your area oven drying is your solution! It does require a bit more of a set up. Using uniform tomatoes sizes will simplify your results. Preheat oven to 130º F or the lowest setting on a gas oven. On some brands of ovens 130º F will be the "warm or low" setting. If your oven only goes down to 200º F then you will need to leave the door ajar while drying. Prepare your tomatoes as previously stated. Omit the cheesecloth and place them on foil lined cookie sheets or pizza pans as above. Put your pans directly on the oven racks. Alternately you could cover the oven racks with aluminum foil into which you will need to punch small holes for air circulation. Bake in a closed, preheated oven at 130º F for 6 to 12 hours until the tomatoes are shriveled and slightly pliable not unlike raisins. Keep checking on them periodically and remove ones that are done. After taking them out of the oven place them on racks until they have cooled down completely.

http://www.ghorganics.com/Sun%20Dried%20Tomatoes.htm#Oven Drying

If not stored in olive oil I'd prolly sprinkle with lemon juice or some presevative to prevent mold before sealing in a container. Unless of coarse you can get them in a freezer. Dried you can store in the freezer in Ziplocks(TM) laying flat. So there wouldn't be to much space used.

Google oven drying. There's a sh*t load of links

-Gregory

Back