Kessil

The BAR mission and how it makes us different

Mr. Ugly

Past President
Oh it's that hippie Jim guy again :D

Well, if it comes from one of our club founders, it must be worth reading :D

LeviT

I can't speak to any other clubs but this one is an great fit for me. Honestly, I probably would have already taken my tank down if it weren't for BAR. In other words, thanks!

G

GreshamH

[quote author=Mr. Ugly link=topic=5253.msg65065#msg65065 date=1227075026]

[/quote]

Yah the ponytail gives him away :) At least he's not a stinking hippy.

tuberider

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=5253.msg65216#msg65216 date=1227144019]
[quote author=Mr. Ugly link=topic=5253.msg65065#msg65065 date=1227075026]

[/quote]

Yah the ponytail gives him away :) At least he's not a stinking hippy.
[/quote]

How do we know, were so used to the smell of skimmate. I have to open a fresh bottle of Arcti-pods to cleanse the palate every now and again (smells like seafoody goodness)

Roc

Jim has said that post to me in person so many times it has become and ever playing montra in my brian.

Good thing it actually is something I agree with :)

Gomer

quoting the post so that we don't lose it some how to the SMF demon :p..now with less "wall of text" for the youngins :p
Hi, I haven't been posting here much but I feel I need to clear up something to help you understand how our community works so you can get the maximum value from your membership. This club is really different from other clubs in that the focus is on the animals, not the people. To this end, it's slightly (firmly) anti-materialistic and this can be seen clearly in the DBTC program and the overwhelming generosity displayed at the swaps. Unfortunately, it's not always explained to folks and if they're used to a different type of community, they can have trouble fitting in.

Think of it like a small tribe or commune where everyone tries to help each other out to best care for and propagate the animals. There is a very strong negative reaction to people who don't put the animals welfare first. The oldtimers in this club have fought hard to keep it focused on the animals in spite of the popular culture being very focused on material gain. For example, I would guess that many thousands of corals have been freely exchanged through this club and the retail value of those pieces is certainly many tens of thousand dollars. There are certain expectations this club has of its members and sometimes they are worth stating openly. BAR expects its members to take the mission statement seriously. This means that impulse buys, inappropriate species buys, overcrowding and poor husbandry is generally frowned upon.

We've all been guilty of some/ all of that at one point or another and we encourage each other to avoid these actions in the spirit of doing what's right by the animals. BAR also takes info transmission seriously and the members are very good at sharing husbandry experiences that help us do better by the animals. People tend to get miffed if their advice is ignored or dismissed.

As a new member, you should also know that the spirit of "pay it forward" applies to all aspects of club life and the spirit of generosity with which you approach this club will be rewarded with generosity beyond your expectations. One last thing is that reefing is a slow process, noone becomes an expert right away but only over a long time and with lots of help from others. If you display patience, generosity and a willingness to learn, this club offers a very rewarding community experience. HTH.

-Jim
aka bookfish