Cali Kid Corals

The closure of Drs. Foster & Smith will take place over the next two to four months.

Yup, buy them out, then string them along for a while, then close them down. Don't blame Foster/Smith I'm sure Petco just showed up with a ginormous bag of money and said "we want you" and hey why not.

I had a feeling this was going to happen as soon as I heard they were purchased by petco. I figured they might just absorb the site and sell online goods from their warehouse under the petco name but that keeps people from going to the stores.

Yup, happened with OSH when they were bought out by Lowes, although in Lowes defense OSH was going through bankruptcy. OSH stuck around for a while, then one day WHAP all of them closed up, of course Lowes has closed stores down recently too, so maybe not too good to be a hardware store?

Great deals on Drs Fosters if you know what you’re looking for and going to miss it. Pet solutions was another go to place and gone now. Guess it’s time to stock up once last time.

Noooooooo! My go-to place for salt mix in cases of 50g bags at great price with free shipping. Aaaaaaaarrrrgh.
I pretty much bought all my salt from DFS when the sales and free shipping hit. Still have a couple reef crystal boxes in the garage. Beats lugging it from the store to the car to the house.

They are keeping Live Aquaria and Diver’s Den open for now, but these are DFS subsidiaries, so it may just be a matter of time.

I hope Dr. Foster and Dr. Smith are happy with their mounds of cash.

So it's not like the Petco site will expand and become like DFS? I guess that explains why DFS phased out Tunze products, among others.

From what I understand Live Aquaria simply uses it's "buying power" in the Los Angeles wholesale scene and sends you fish from there, something that can easily be replaced by Petco.

And not sure but I thought the Diver's Den part was not part of the Petco sale.

DD definitely was bought by LA, which was later bought by PetCo. Lots of consternation and gnashing of teeth about that in online forums when it happened a couple years ago.

Gotcha, I knew DF&S, LA & DD were originally all under one big umbrella with DF&S being dry goods, LA being drop shipped direct from wholesalers and DD being the "good stuff" that is allowed to sit in actual tanks, acclimate to aquarium, observed for signs of distress WYSIWYG mentality. Just didn't know that everything was gobbled up by PetCo

Back