Jestersix

TM All-For-Reef

JVU

President
BOD
Hey folks I’m looking for people’s thoughts on Tropic Marin All-For-Reef for larger tanks with significant consumption. I see lots of posts about how convenient it is for small tanks, which is great. But a lot less discussion about it’s use in larger tanks with lots of SPS/LPS and higher levels of Alk/Ca/Mg consumption. The main downside of using A4R that I see being mentioned is that it gets expensive with more use.

BUT they recently came out with a powder option that seems cheap compared to what I’m doing now so I’m looking at it more seriously. BRS sells the powder from TM (not the DIY) for $68 for enough to make 10 liters, which is a little more than half the price of Triton Core7 in bulk if the volumes are equivalent.

My tank is about 180g water volume, mixed reef, with quite a bit of SPS and LPS, large colonies. I’ve been using Triton Core7 but my consumption is quite high now and the cost is getting high too. I’m using about 350 ml of the Alk solution a day now, and same volume of combined Ca, Mg, trace solutions. It’s $220 for a set that has 10 liters of Alk and 10 liters total of the other 2 solutions. So right now one of the large packs lasts me about a month. Yikes. Slightly less expensive if you buy dry and mix it but it doesn’t mix easily. My tank is doing great though, so I’m hesitant to change until I learn a lot more about potential issues.

I know lots of people will say I should take another approach, like a calcium reactor, supplement with Kalk, etc. I may wind up doing that, but I’m trying to avoid them for various reasons, and the point of this thread is to find out more about people’s experience with A4R if possible because I find it intriguing.

One of the potential issues with A4R (or maybe it’s not) is that it takes a while, like a day or so, for the A4R to break down into Alkalinity and other components that can be used by coral and also tested for. Since I test with Trident several times a day and also manual testing with Hanna and Salifert kits, one thing I like about my current setup is that I can dose more when I have more consumption and less when I need less, seems like tighter control. So if any of you have a Trident or other automated Alk checker and are using A4R I’d be interested if for example you have an Alk spike in the early morning when there has been less consumption at night.

Another issue is I’m not sure if there is a real upper limit of how much A4R you can use in a tank safely. I’ve seen something about that from TM, but also people saying they go above the recommended upper amount without issue. Any experience with this?

Anyone have any idea what the Alk amount per volume of A4R is? How it compares with more traditional multipart dosing by volume? I suspect it might be more concentrated based on chatter online about using tiny doses, but wondering if anyone actually knows or has experience moving between 2-part and A4R.

Re: breaking down to alk/other components, where did you read this? This is the first I've heard of it, and—since I'm switching to All for Reef soon—that'd be helpful to know more about. :)

Re: alk amount per volume of A4R, they list 2800 dKH / 500 mL There's also a dosing calculator on their website, but I admit I haven't tried it out just yet. I'll be switching from Foundation A/B from Red Sea to AFR soon, so hopefully I'll be able to provide more info, but I'll watch this with interest as well if someone's already done it.

I am also in a similar boat for tank size and consumption. If you have decided against calcium reactor (like I have) then for cost, I feel like it is hard to beat the bulk pharma powder from BRS, which leaves trace elements to be figured out. I am currently using the Red Sea A-B-C-D, but am looking at switching to the TM balling method.

I don't like any solution that ties my alk dosing and ca dosing to each other without giving me a way to tune them independently. This could be done with the Ca reactor and dosing either alk or ca to keep up with the one that lags. I don't see what supplementing a ca reactor with kalk does other than try to raise ph (which is likely why it is done).

So long as you get everything mixed, i.e. dose in your return pump area, then I can't imagine a problem with using as much as the corals are consuming.

Reactions: JVU
Re: breaking down to alk/other components, where did you read this? This is the first I've heard of it, and—since I'm switching to All for Reef soon—that'd be helpful to know more about. :)

Re: alk amount per volume of A4R, they list 2800 dKH / 500 mL There's also a dosing calculator on their website, but I admit I haven't tried it out just yet. I'll be switching from Foundation A/B from Red Sea to AFR soon, so hopefully I'll be able to provide more info, but I'll watch this with interest as well if someone's already done it.
Carbo-calcium, which is the key component of A4R, is calcium formate. The formate is metabolized by bacteria into carbonate, which is what corals use. That is the magic that allows them to have increased concentrations of everything we dose in 1 solution without it just precipitating out.

This bacterial metabolism step makes it so that your Alk level doesn’t rise immediately after adding, it takes a variable amount of time. Also makes it so that there is a slight carbon-dosing property to it (which is good as far as I’m concerned). Also uses up some dissolved oxygen in this step, which is why they have a recommended max dose I think. But in a well-aerated tank I’m not so worried about this theoretical issue.

Just for reference using all for reef is tough with automated alkalinity testing/dosing due to that delayed release aspect so if your plan is to use this with the 1 head of the kh director left over be aware it isn’t advised which is why I got the other doser and just keep using 2 part.

Just for reference using all for reef is tough with automated alkalinity testing/dosing due to that delayed release aspect so if your plan is to use this with the 1 head of the kh director left over be aware it isn’t advised which is why I got the other doser and just keep using 2 part.
Makes sense; thank you!

Though I'm guessing it'd still be okay to use with the KH Director as long as I'm not using the automatic alk adjustment feature. Though this is now definitely an excuse to get another doser in the future...

Last edited:
Makes sense; thank you!

Though I'm guessing it'd still be okay to use with the KH Director as long as I'm not using the automatic alk adjustment feature. Though this is now definitely an excuse to get another doser in the future...
Most likely but I spoke with TM about this and the amount of time to have the bacteria “activate” the kh side does vary by anywhere from 2-6 hours is what I was told so this led me to just stick to 2 part. If you only test alk once a day it’s probably fine but I test 6 times per day and this would lead to inaccurate tests they said. I personally think all for reef is meant to take care of nano tanks as they have become all the rage now.

I used AFR from the start for my tank (175g system volume) and it was very convenient. It’s a mixed reef and corals were always extremely happy - never had a single episode of STN or RTN. I also used it with the Trident and automated dosing without any problems. At peak, I was dosing 240ml/day.

But then came the pandemic and the shortages of TM products. I was forced to switch to soda ash because I ran out of AFR and it was not available anywhere. I had some soda ash laying around.

I swore I wouldn’t go back to AFR and went with ESV B-ionic for three reasons: 1) it has trace elements so I can use just two heads 2) It’s relatively cheap and 3) in a pinch, I can get some from an LFS.

I used AFR from the start for my tank (175g system volume) and it was very convenient. It’s a mixed reef and corals were always extremely happy - never had a single episode of STN or RTN. I also used it with the Trident and automated dosing without any problems. At peak, I was dosing 240ml/day.

But then came the pandemic and the shortages of TM products. I was forced to switch to soda ash because I ran out of AFR and it was not available anywhere. I had some soda ash laying around.

I swore I wouldn’t go back to AFR and went with ESV B-ionic for three reasons: 1) it has trace elements so I can use just two heads 2) It’s relatively cheap and 3) in a pinch, I can get some from an LFS.
Now that the all for reef is available in powder form at 1/6th the cost, has all the trace elements, and doesn’t appear to be in short supply, uses 1 doser, does that change your calculation?

I used to use B-Ionic for many years but they are not at all straightforward about what minor and trace elements are in the bottle, and I got the consensus that they are not optimized as well as the other more modern supplements like Triton Core7 or A4R.

Since you were using A4R and had a Trident going, I’m curious if you saw spikes in Alk at your 6am test? I’m predicting that there might be due to the delayed release meaning you don’t really have control over when the carbonate becomes bio-available, and corals use a lot less Ca/Alk from midnight to 6a in my experience. I definitely need to dose way less Alk from midnight to 6a or I get a dangerous spike in Alk readings.

Brs has a hybrid method that uses their alk and cal powders and you add TM trace elements to the solutions. Might be worth looking at. It's still 2 part dosing but has other trace elements too

Brs has a hybrid method that uses their alk and cal powders and you add TM trace elements to the solutions. Might be worth looking at. It's still 2 part dosing but has other trace elements too
That is what I am moving to, the chemistry makes sense for the long term, no water change tank. The new AFR is too new for me to trust it, even though it likely works great.

Yeah, I saw that but as you said it’s basically just another DIY 2-part, which seems boring to me at this point. Probably better and safer than what I’m considering (and definitely cheaper than what I’m doing) though.

@JVU Based on what @The_Lazy_Reefer said above, I think what I'm going to try doing (at least until I can get another doser) is dose AFR every four to six hours, and measure alk immediately before each dosing. Rationale is to minimize the window between full conversion of one dose and testing to try and get more consistent readings. Though, given your point above, I may try and alter this schedule to time it so that first dose of the day is processed by lights-on, and last dose of the day is fully processed before lights-off.

I'm curious to see whether alkalinity will level out/be consistent at each testing point, or if there will be long-term variability. I'll keep you posted, since I should be able to get everything set up and start doing that later today.

If I were to implement A4R, what I’d do is use a doser, and have it dosed frequently on a schedule resembling what I do now (1/3-1/2 as much per hour between 12a-6a as other times), but just move up everything by 2-6 hours to allow for metabolism time.

I would tweak dose amounts and timing based on Alk reading from my Trident, backed up by manual Alk checks sometimes.

Yeah, I saw that but as you said it’s basically just another DIY 2-part, which seems boring to me at this point. Probably better and safer than what I’m considering (and definitely cheaper than what I’m doing) though.
On a big tank, don't you want boring, stable chemistry? I get the need to tinker though.

What's everyone's strategy to find how much to dose? I'd love to use it on my nano but feels a lot more "tinker and figure it out yourself" than standard 2 part w/ a calculator

I honestly don’t think a complicated strategy is necessary. I dosed a fixed amount for all 24h and let the trident adjust. Every now and then, I would adjust the baseline amount - almost always up as I added frags. It works itself out and I never had swings larger than .5 dKh

What's everyone's strategy to find how much to dose? I'd love to use it on my nano but feels a lot more "tinker and figure it out yourself" than standard 2 part w/ a calculator
There's also a calculator on TropicMarin's site. I know how much dKH my tank uses daily, so gonna use that and back-calculate how much AFR I'll need to start with.

Back