Our mission

Undersize Skimmer with Fleece Roller?

kinetic

Supporting Member
Should I greatly undersize my skimmer if I'm planning on running a fleece roller?

125G tank
5x anthias
2x genicanthus
1x purp tang
anemones (not directly feeding tho)
a few other fish

I was going to go with a Reef octopus elite 150sss, but I might just stick with my NYOS 120 that I have running on my Reefer 170 if the fleece roller is going to be pulling things out aggressively.

I’m of the opinion now that it’s beneficial to get a really good skimmer so it’s available for the times when you might really need it (something dies, accidentally dump something in tank etc) and the rest of the time, just run it only at night. Saves electricity and also no skimmer noise during the day!

I’m of the opinion now that it’s beneficial to get a really good skimmer so it’s available for the times when you might really need it (something dies, accidentally dump something in tank etc) and the rest of the time, just run it only at night. Saves electricity and also no skimmer noise during the day!
Noise doesn't seem to be an issue if you get one that's quiet. My NYOS 120 makes no sound at all (I did modify it by cutting a RO tube lengthwise and adding it to the cup between cup lip and the lid, and that silenced it completely).

I have a very similar setup - red sea 525xl, clarisea 5000 and nyos 120. the clarisea is incredible - there isn’t much left for the nyos to pick up, though it does pull some junk out.

i’ve got 16 fish or so that get fed 3-5 times per day liberally and i struggle to keep nutrients above zero.

Noise doesn't seem to be an issue if you get one that's quiet. My NYOS 120 makes no sound at all (I did modify it by cutting a RO tube lengthwise and adding it to the cup between cup lip and the lid, and that silenced it completely).
Trying to picture this… so the RO line makes sort of a gasket between skimmer cup and lid? Because the noise was coming through that gap or the lid was rattling around…?

I have a very similar setup - red sea 525xl, clarisea 5000 and nyos 120. the clarisea is incredible - there isn’t much left for the nyos to pick up, though it does pull some junk out.

i’ve got 16 fish or so that get fed 3-5 times per day liberally and i struggle to keep nutrients above zero.

That's awesome. I feel like upsizing skimmers has really gotten crazy lately. These tiny ones do so much, especially with fleece rollers!

Get a DC skimmer. You can then dial it up or down as needed.
Most DC skimmers are too big for my application. I've tried a few small DC pump skimmers and they were LOUD and didn't work well. For example, I ran a Simplicity dc skimmer next to my NYOS, and the NYOS with the AC pump was completely silent and the Simplicity was the loudest thing in the sump. The DC pump it had also wasn't very constant, and I would get random overflows. With a good AC pump it's quiet enough, and with the airflow and water outlet controls I feel like I can get a lot of control that way too. But who knows, I've only ever tried one DC pump skimmer.

Trying to picture this… so the RO line makes sort of a gasket between skimmer cup and lid? Because the noise was coming through that gap or the lid was rattling around…?

Yes! Sorry I should've explained it better. The NYOS only had a slight rattle on the cup's lid. If I put something heavy on it, it wouldn't rattle, and sometimes it sat just right and wouldn't make a sound. But a bunch of other NYOS owners told me to just slice a silicon RO tube lengthwise and bam, they were right, silent.

Anyhow, I ordered an Ultra Reef Akula UKS-160. I'm going to run it next to my NYOS 120 to compare the sound. I'll also run one skimmer for a week and the other for another week and compare the results!

Why did I just get another skimmer that is rated similarly? Good question.

Most DC skimmers are too big for my application. I've tried a few small DC pump skimmers and they were LOUD and didn't work well. For example, I ran a Simplicity dc skimmer next to my NYOS, and the NYOS with the AC pump was completely silent and the Simplicity was the loudest thing in the sump. The DC pump it had also wasn't very constant, and I would get random overflows. With a good AC pump it's quiet enough, and with the airflow and water outlet controls I feel like I can get a lot of control that way too. But who knows, I've only ever tried one DC pump skimmer.
interesting... my Simplicity 240 is pretty constant and quiet. I replaced my vertex with a sicce SDC skimmer pump (DC)... and it's been amazing. well worth the effort.

interesting... my Simplicity 240 is pretty constant and quiet. I replaced my vertex with a sicce SDC skimmer pump (DC)... and it's been amazing. well worth the effort.

I had the Simplicity 120 skimmer. It was very loud compared to the NYOS (I ran them side by side and even did a decibel test). The Simplicity was really really loud. I got a lot of customer support from the company though. They sent me 3 different pumps and even gave me an entire new skimmer to try, but the second one was the same. I showed them a video of the decibel reading results compared to the NYOS, and they said they couldn't think of any other solutions for me other than a refund.

I think it's a great company and they tried, but after all of it the NYOS won hands down.

Now, the 240 might be totally different, who knows!

I guess all I can say that I'm really happy with the silence and performance of my NYOS 120 with the AC pump. Everyone I've talked to who has the Ultra Reef Akula Skimmers say it's even quieter than their NYOS, which seems ridiculous because I can't hear the NYOS anyway.

That's awesome. I feel like upsizing skimmers has really gotten crazy lately. These tiny ones do so much, especially with fleece rollers!
The octo 130 essence I have def pulled in a lot of gunk prior to the roller mat. If I had known just how effective the rollermat is - I would prob stayed with my original octo 110 space saver.

Back