Reef nutrition

Used College Books, Where?

Son’s is a Spartan and after a week, here comes the list of needs...
Does anyone know of a place to buy books (used preferred) in the peninsula?

Much appreciated!

At an actual bookstore, no. College bookstores often are owned by private companies and they are greedy SOBs who don't care that these books cost so much. I would say look at Amazon, you can find used copies of most college books there fairly easily, in fact if the edition doesn't matter older editions can be found for dirt cheap sometimes. One of the astronomy books I occasionally use and is like $140 or something crazy expensive like that can be gotten on Amazon for less than $20 for like 2 or 3 editions older.

School’s bookstore usually sells used and new.
Bulletin boards by school’s bookstore usually list, too. At worst, eBay, Amazon or online. Hope you sell Marineland to buy one or maybe 1 1/2 book. Make sure that son is enrolled and want that class before buying book online, otherwise hard to return if he decides to drop class 3 weeks into it.

It's been a decade since I was in, but my sources were as follows:
1) The on-campus bookstore actually had reasonable prices on used books (I understand this is unusual, they were school run and not for a profit).
2) Where ever Google took me. This was Abe, Amazon, Ebay, and a number of other places. If the professor was going to pull homework from the text version sometimes mattered, if not maybe not but check with the prof. Mine were good about telling us when we could get away with older versions, although often in that case they just made the official course book the old version so I got lucky there.
3) Upper classmen. Make friends with them. I was able to borrow several books from other students who had purchased them the prior year.
4) It wasn't an option at all for me 10-15 years ago, but my father is now auditing courses at Ohio State (he lives in Columbus, OH) and in some cases he can get an official PDF of the course book for $20 through some campus program. In other cases the PDF is much higher, even above the cost of the used book, so you need to check each time.

It doesn't help the first quarter, but be sure to plan online book purchases several weeks out, media mail can be slow.

Interesting side note, there are 5 NCAA D1 schools that go by "Spartans", although only 3 of those have football teams.

We’re going the “rent” from amazon route; there are PDF downloads available but the physical book I think will be the choice.
I guess some teachers might be picky about the edition so it will be as required for the classes.

I had friends go to the library and borrow the text books, go to an office depot and make photocopies of the pages they needed. Much cheaper, but a PITA..

Back