Our mission

Volume of a Rubbermaid 150 stock tank at different heights?

You could fill a known volume in a unit time with a consistent flow rate (say from a garden hose) and then multiply to get 150 gallons.

Need to know the gradation of the different levels on that sucker.

The dimensions given are from the top section, which puts it at 244g about.

Well if you want to get all mathematical....

Looks like that tank is basically a rectangular shape plus two circle halves. Plus it has 3 distinct levels, each of which slope outward slightly.

You could measure the width of the container across the short side at the top and bottom of each level, take an average and simply calculate you volume based on a surface area at that level (1 rectangle & 2 circles) with the height, and do that 3 times over...
but then again that might be too much work :D

The roundness does not make a circle though, it's oblong?

I agree with Matt. Calibrate your hose and then without touching the spigot, use a timer and then measure your Rubbermaid. You can even calibrate after the fact. Time how long to fill a 1g jug, transfer the flowing hose to the Rubbermaid, and then use a marker to indicate every __ amount of time. Then later, weigh the jug it to find the real volume, and then you can translate the time ticks to gallons. When you are done, pump the water to your lawn/garden, or if your TDS is really low, I suppose you can use it for your tank with some dechlor.

Bah don't bother with all this Rich. I'll just get you the rectangular 240g and make life easy for you.

Now the question is how do I get it to you? I could stuff it in the Sprinter Friday *IF* it wasn't all ready going to be full of boxes for work. Guess I could make another trip early next week once I get back from LA.

I could haul it over to Max's if you had a way to pick up a 240g tank?

GreshamH said:
The roundness does not make a circle though, it's oblong?
True, I have the 300g, and it's far from being a circle. However at some of the pictures I've looked at, it looks pretty damn close to a circle, to the point that unless you need exact precision you'll get a fairly good estimate.

But hell, just fill a 5g container with water, pour it in, use an exacto knife to mark on the inside where that is. repeat as needed

:D

There has got to be a better way!

Rubbermaid has got to have the info. I emailed them.

THe problem with the math is not only is the thing oblong, not only does it taper from top to bottom, but there are three steps in the sides. Big pain.

Gresh - thanks for all the offers. I have no way to pick it up from anywhere, but I can wait until next time you are already coming up. I'll email you tonight. You are a reefers best friend.

Mmmmm, ESV salt, ummmm.

I watched Jake mix his and do a 95%+ WC on his cube. I was truly amazed at how the critters and corals reacted. To see corals open up, shrimp get active and none show any stress signs just blew me away. I can't wait for my ESV Bionic Salt System to arrive now :)

I'm still coming up tomorrow and will bring your camera stuff and LEDs with. Late afternoon fine or is earlier better? I have a 3pm appointment in Berkeley.

GreshamH said:
I watched Jake mix his and do a 95%+ WC on his cube. I was truly amazed at how the critters and corals reacted. To see corals open up, shrimp get active and none show any stress signs just blew me away. I can't wait for my ESV Bionic Salt System to arrive now :)

I'm still coming up tomorrow and will bring your camera stuff and LEDs with. Late afternoon fine or is earlier better? I have a 3pm appointment in Berkeley.

Early! I am leaving town around 2 RF and OF too? :D

Last second trip to NERAC?

OK I will do my best to get there prior to 2pm.

Back