Jestersix

Water change and Alkalinity

Is this a trick question, because neither alkalinity would be safe for my corals ha. If your nutrients are already low and you change half the water and spike the alk 1dKh over an hour or so, your corals miiight complain.

It can be helpful for threads like this to link your journal so people can get a better idea of your system.

if you’re worried about an alk spike you can do smaller % WC. I have been doing small ones for my 25 gal tank, just 2-3 gal for this reason. But I do it small so I don’t have to worry about it, I dont test the newly mixed water but expect it to be in a 1+- range of the advertised 7dkh of the salt mix.

You should probably be fine. I manually dose once a day to bring my tank up from 7.8-ish dkh to 9 dkh over the span of 5 minutes or so. (I would not necessarily recommend doing this, I have just been lazy about setting up my dosing pump and this has worked well for me for three months now.)

Popular wisdom holds to alter dkh by no more than 0.5 or 1 dkh/day (depending on your source), but Red Sea suggests no more than 1.4 dkh in a 24 hour period.

You're still towards the low end of the recommended range (8-12 dkh) so it should be fine. Any higher and I'd be a bit concerned, since Alkalinity acts like a buffer, and buffers aren't linear in their buffering capacity. They buffer real well... Until they suddenly don't, and pH/calcium/etc can go out of whack very quickly.

You should probably be fine. I manually dose once a day to bring my tank up from 7.8-ish dkh to 9 dkh over the span of 5 minutes or so. (I would not necessarily recommend doing this, I have just been lazy about setting up my dosing pump and this has worked well for me for three months now.)

Popular wisdom holds to alter dkh by no more than 0.5 or 1 dkh/day (depending on your source), but Red Sea suggests no more than 1.4 dkh in a 24 hour period.

You're still towards the low end of the recommended range (8-12 dkh) so it should be fine. Any higher and I'd be a bit concerned, since Alkalinity acts like a buffer, and buffers aren't linear in their buffering capacity. They buffer real well... Until they suddenly don't, and pH/calcium/etc can go out of whack very quickly.
Regarding those alkalinity ranges, it’s worth pointing out that natural reefs in the ocean are around 7 dKh, and that some of the more controlled systems out there recommend aiming for 7 or 8. There are lots of reports of people causing a ton of coral damage by pushing the dKH up into the 10+ range and having the slightest perturbation come along and cause a crash. You can find the 8-12 range referenced lots of places online, but I don’t agree with it, I think it’s somewhat outdated and risky advice. I keep mine around 8.5.

Yeah just post this in your journal rather than making a new thread
+ @max_nano

Just did! Thanks for the suggestion!

Regarding those alkalinity ranges, it’s worth pointing out that natural reefs in the ocean are around 7 dKh, and that some of the more controlled systems out there recommend aiming for 7 or 8. There are lots of reports of people causing a ton of coral damage by pushing the dKH up into the 10+ range and having the slightest perturbation come along and cause a crash. You can find the 8-12 range referenced lots of places online, but I don’t agree with it, I think it’s somewhat outdated and risky advice. I keep mine around 8.5.

For what it's worth, I agree with that sentiment and I think that the decreased buffering capacity is likely the cause of crash in ranges that high. I was surprised to see that natural seawater was only 7 dkh after learning about alkalinity, given the 8-12 dkh range. Temporarily I think it's okay, but I wouldn't want to chance it by keeping my system at a high range (I keep mine at ~8.5-9, but that's because everything is happy and I like the, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach).

Back