Cali Kid Corals

Wednesday storm supposed to be worse

richiev

Supporting Member
Get your electrical backups together:

Except Wednesday, it’s likely to be worse, with a lot more wind — up to 50 mph gusts.

“It’s a good bet we’ll see more trees down and power lines affected,” Walbrun said. “The soils are so saturated.”

The Bay Area could see up to three inches or more, with up to six inches in the coastal hills.

I came home from vacation to find that maybe 3-6 inches of dirty water flooded into my partial basement. The rugs are a loss and so much stuff that just happened to be on the floor were soaked.

Going to see if we can get some sandbags today. I was up u til 3am removing the rugs and drying guitars and other things. The time difference killed me as it was basically 6AM for us as we flew in from Toronto. And I have to work today too.

But have to prepare for the next assault.

Thanks for the reminder. Time to fire up the gas generator. I've had it new in the box for almost 2 years in prep for rolling blackouts season but luckily haven't needed it yet.
15 years ago, I bought a generator because PG&E was/is unreliable and we just had kids and irreplaceable breast milk was stored in a freezer in our garage. For the first time in those 15 years, I opened the box! LOL. I bought a 3 prong RV power plug to convert it to a 3 prong outlet I can use for the sump pump ... then when I opened the box, I was pleasantly surprised to see it actually comes with a 4, 3, and standard 3 prong plugs. LOL.

As for sandbags, my wife drove all over the bay area and most sand filling places were out of bags, so she hunted for them and finally bought some of the good plastic sand bags. Last night we went to the Redwood City and then the 1949 Pacific Blvd site. When we got to 1949, we saw people scraping the pavement for the last remnants of sand. We then drove to Seal Point and not only did they have three large piles of sand, but they actually still had sand bags. So, along with our own store-bought bags, we filled up 50 sand bags over the course of 2 days and got a more powerful sump pump (many years ago, I dug a sump pit in the backyard next to the house because it had flooded). We bagged up the door that leaked on New Years day, and threw some in front of the garage door, and since we live on the "inside curve" of the street on a hill, we used bags to create a wall in front of the driveway because water travels along the gutter like a river and tends to go up into our yard and then into the backyard.
After all this prep, I'm still hoping the rain isn't as bad as they are predicting.
I also put a leak alarm that normally sits near my aquarium into the basement. There WAS an alarm there but it died a heroic death, wailing away in warning on NYD while we were in Toronto and eventually it drowned as the water level in the basement covered it up!

your best bet for sandbags in San Mateo is probably the Seal Point parking lot.
Good luck guys!

V

PXL_20230105_031134263.jpg

My tank an hour ago. Covered it in as many blankets as possible.

Luckily my power came back on, but I'm leaving it covered with all the lights unplugged (to avoid fire risk) until the morning.

Good luck all!

Back