Jestersix

What brand of reef salt to buy

I like Reef Crystals; way back I preferred Seachem ReefSalt but has been discontinued.
Seachem has a new salt. It has high calcium and magnesium (dkh is a little over 8) and sells for $40 a box (200g).

It mixes like crap though. Brown film and it's cloudy.

I'm back you using reef crystals but for large volumes, instant ocean and bulk dosing supplies is cheaper.

I ended up ordering a bucket of Red Sea Aquarium Salt mix. It is the same as Coral Pro but without the 12.0 DKH.
  • pH: 8.2 - 8.4
  • Alkalinity: 7.8 - 8.2 DKH
  • Calcium: 420 - 440 mg/l
  • Magnesium: 1250 - 1310 mg/l
  • Potassium: 380 - 400 mg/l

Personally I use instant ocean. Its cheap and yes it may lack alk and calcium but by the time you do a water change it doesnt matter or in my case I dose anyways. WWCs uses it and Ive used it since 2009. Many people on RC use it and some of the best tanks ive ever seen use instant ocean. My two cents.

IO. Been using it forever. Just gotta remember to clean out the mixing tank every once in awhile, but not a huge deal.

I used to use Coralife or Kent's for years...whichever was less expensive. Switched over to FRS... more expensive, but mixes up really clean and fast.

How are you liking the blue bucket? Do you happen to have readings for a new salt mix at 1.026 ? [emoji16]

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
It seems to mix fairly well. I have made a lot of adjustments to my system in the last month so hard to give a review of the just the salt. I have gone through 1 bucket in 30 days and the corals dont seem to mind the change. I was using natural salt water from the Pacific but started to run into phosphate issues. The Phos. of nat. sea water was .2ppm and my reef was at .5ppm The salt change (and a little GFO) has helped me start bringing down these levels. I have gotten it down slowly to .1ppm this month. I mix at 1.025 so I dont have the readings for 1.026
Cheers!

Tropic Marin Pro Reef. Dissolves and clarifies near instantly. I've used it as close as an hour after circulating in a bucket with a heater and power head and everything seems happy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back