Cali Kid Corals

What do you guys use to line the bottom of your stand?

Do you guys use any sort of waterproof liner or very shallow tray/tub at the bottom of your stand? In the past, floods and slow leaks in my stands have ruined the wood and I'm wondering what I can use to avoid that in my new setup. I need to cover a 6'x2' base... hopefully I can just pick something up at HD.

I use a showercurtain. I ductaped the curtain sides to the stand walls to make a 'bowl', but the ductape didn't last. I'm not convinced it's the best idea though.

Vinyl flooring. I asked a floor store (Tradeway in Richmond) if they had remnants they want to give away. The name-brand store like The Floor Store sells remnants - but I'd find another store because I see remnants by garbage bins all the time.

I just use construction glue and fold the flooring so there is a lip that's the same height of the 2x4 (~1.5"). I also silicone the edges because sometimes, my leaks hit the walls and run down between the wall and the frame.

I've seen others use pond lining.

I used to use the clear vinyl that you use under carpet to keep it from skidding. Home depot and lowes sell it. It is in a big roll and you can have them cut it to size just like carpet.

Do you guy think those work? Water still able to go under it and damage the floor. I think it's best to clean the water right away. Use some towels and cover the floor. I have hardwood floor in all the house that I live in and never have a problem with it. If there is a flood, you would have to move the tank/stand to clean the floor.

Thanks guys... I am thinking of trying pond liner or vinyl. Sounds like everyone has their own approach. I'll take a look at HD on my way home tonight.

Phong, I'm more concerned about the stand, because the tank is actually sitting on cement in my garage. The stand is made of pressboard which will swell when wet. It's more an issue with slow leaks that one doesn't always notice.

Home depot has some kind of hard white plastic board, about 1/8 thick you can glue into the stand and fill the seams with silicone. Will hold water like a tub and it will never rip. I saw that Jeff (Zambavi) used this stuff inside his stand, check out his tank tread on page 24. There are close up pictures about halfway down the page, it is somehow textured. It looks very clean as well compared to any pond liner or plastic sheeting.

http://www.bareefers.org/discussion/index.php?topic=4762.345

Oh you're talking about the inside off the stand? There are drip tray that people use..
http://www.bareefers.org/discussion/index.php?topic=3677.msg53938#msg53938

I would also paint the inside with a thick layer of waterprove paint. That would help a lot.

Eric...hardcore- sure. But I LIKE it! I guess I'll do something like that when I finally build my dream stand. Just not sure how succeptable it is to scrapes etc.

Jason- if cheap is your real goal, then using either a cheap shower curtain or some of the clear vinyl (like drip cloths in the paint section) I suggest not going with the thinnest they have though, if you're planning to put a sump or something else in there.

There's the hardcore sealing method that Eric posted which is the other end of the spectrum. However, if you're really just worried about the bottom of the stand a drip tray like Phong posted should work fine. Something like that probably can't be bought commercially though, so TAP plastics or some other local plastic store is your best bet for a non-DIY method. Give them the dims you want, and also mention that it needs to be water proof. If they won't guarantee that, then you can just buy a tube of weldon 16 (or borrow some) to run along the inside of the seam.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I decided to pick up some black vinyl flooring at HD for $2 a foot, 27" wide. It turned out perfect for my tank since that's just enough width to go up a couple inches or so on each side of the tank base. It was grooved flooring which made it easy to fold straight. I tucked the corners and screwed/tacked it into place last night.

I didn't do it but, there is a plastic liner that is used to line the underside of bath and shower stalls. Made by a plumbing company called Oatley.

Apparently CoralsB4Bills got his drip tray from World Marine... they built it for him custom for $90. Pretty good price I think...

If you're going that way, pay cash and try to bargain with him :) I got my 30x24x17 tank made by them for around 120 I think? can't remember for sure...

Back