Neptune Aquatics

What do you think about this RODI water top-off setup?

Joseph Lee

Supporting Member
I know I won't be upgrading my setup anytime soon but wanted to prepare for the future. What do you guys think about this auto top off setup?

- (update) this setup feeds rodi water directly to the sump
- The valve on the pressure tank needs to be adjusted to prevent too much pressure to the DI filter
- Two solenoids for extra precaution (normally closed) connected to the sensors
- additional water level sensor that overrides and turns off the solenoids
- Water detector sensors will be on a timer (on for 30min total 5 - 10 times a day)
- float valve for extra precaution

1665966828124.png

1665967724261-png.42695

Attachments

• 1665967724261.png
    1665967724261.png
    205.6 KB · Views: 257
Last edited:
I don't think a pressure tank is necessary
The pressure tank prevents frequent on-and-off of action of the mechanical solenoid valves (also noisy) but it might not be necessary.
Would a 10+ gallon tank with a high/low sensor system after the rodi system do the same thing? Low turns the rodi unit on, high turns it off.
You mean something like this one right? I like how small it is!

1665981313151.png

The pressure tank prevents frequent on-and-off of action of the mechanical solenoid valves (also noisy) but it might not be necessary.

You mean something like this one right? I like how small it is!

View attachment 42696
No, two separate ones, one high in the tank, one low

One to say you have 1 gallon left and to turn on the rodi, and the other to shut off the ro unit when the tank is full.

Last edited:
I know I won't be upgrading my setup anytime soon but wanted to prepare for the future. What do you guys think about this auto top off setup?

- The valve on the pressure tank needs to be adjusted to prevent too much pressure to the DI filter
- Two solenoids for extra precaution (normally closed) connected to the sensors
- additional water level sensor that overrides and turns off the solenoids
- Water detector sensors will be on a timer (on for 30min total 5 - 10 times a day)
- float valve for extra precaution

View attachment 42693

1665967724261-png.42695

I ran a setup something like this on my 120g tank in the past. It was convenient in that you never had to worry about refilling an RO container, and I never had any issues with in over the span of 3 years.
The downside to this is that if you ever have bad TDS creep in your RO system you'll never really know it because its all automated.

However, with my 90g I ended up just using a Tunze auto-top off fed from a 5g jug external to the tank; absolute worse case if everything failed on it was impossible to overflow the sump/tank. The downside is you have to remember to fill an RO water container. The upside is it is a good time to check the TDS when you go to fill up the topoff tank.

I ran a setup something like this on my 120g tank in the past. It was convenient in that you never had to worry about refilling an RO container, and I never had any issues with in over the span of 3 years.
The downside to this is that if you ever have bad TDS creep in your RO system you'll never really know it because its all automated.

However, with my 90g I ended up just using a Tunze auto-top off fed from a 5g jug external to the tank; absolute worse case if everything failed on it was impossible to overflow the sump/tank. The downside is you have to remember to fill an RO water container. The upside is it is a good time to check the TDS when you go to fill up the topoff tank.
Thanks for the tip. I think an external top-off reservoir can be great since you can mix it with PO4, NO3, amino acid etc without an additional dosing pump.
This is what I put into my external top off reservoir weekly.
1666058666202.png

Thanks for the tip. I think an external top-off reservoir can be great since you can mix it with PO4, NO3, amino acid etc without an additional dosing pump.
This is what I put into my external top off reservoir weekly.
View attachment 42712

I had used a multiple channel ca and alk doser but the top off works great for things too.

PO4 dosing - interesting. Lol, its been 4 years since I had a tank -- apparently things have changed.

Back