Neptune Aquatics

What is it with me and car trouble...

Long story short, short story long.
Winter break, son has a car (mommy bought it for her son), son sees a newer car (all the way over in Hayward)
2008 VW GTI (low-ish mileage). Mommy buys sonny boy the GTI (me unaware). What’s done is done.
About six weeks later, GTI transmission fails and son goes (crying) to mommy because he’s attached to his car and has really good memories of it (or in it). Mommy bought sonny boy a car “as is” from a dealership in the east bay because he kept on bugging her... In the mean time I still have hopes on fixing my Civic’s issue.
Kid takes the car to a mechanic and yes, transmission failure. Dealer assumes no responsibility and wife and son are screwed, wife says is son’s fault because he begged for the car, me? I stay out because I’m not the one who wiped his bottom with over $6500.00 greenbacks!!
Wife pays for a parking spot at home but since sonny boy’s car can’t be operated, he parks the car there, wife is furious because of the huge hassle it is to park a car on the street and having to move it once in a while for street cleaning (she kept the other boring-gray Golf for herself)
I feel bad for the kid, he is my son after all. I don’t think I ever gave my mother my share of trouble (dad was gone since I was 6) but my mother and si lings have helpme when I’ve needed so it goes the same for my sonn not that he deserves it but because he’s my son.
In the way of asking, is the way of giving; or so I’ve been telling my family and so far, my daughter gets it crystal clear.
Did some research, lots of reading and scanned the vehicle’s computer for the errors. Transmission is a dual-clutch (semi automatic) DSG and they seem to have their more than fair share of trouble.
All points to a bad Mechatronic unit (easy-ish for me to deal with) it’s the internal unit with the shifting solenoids or commonly known as valve body.
Pricey piece of equipment but compared to the dealership or an independent shop, I took the task of replacing the faulty unit.
YouTube University, some more reading and out it came from the transmission casing. Had to wait for a reconditioned unit to arrive (after I tested the solenoids and they were all in good condition, deduction was the electronic components inside of it and that’s a don’t try it for me so I orderd one)
New oil, filter since the job calls for it.
A month or do after, finally I put the things back together, yesterday I found the car has no power-steering, missed a ground cable that belongs to the electr-power steering (new to me). This morning with my mind a bit more clear than yesterday, backtracked my steps and saw the ground wire aside where it was supposed to be grounded. Voila!! Error gone. Take the car out for a test drive and boom!! Same stupid error; car disengaged gears, no reverse no forward; basically the same thing.
I have a cheap eBay scanner specific for VW since my brother has a Golf, wife has a Golf and now son has a Golf. It helped me (the scanner) in the past to deal with my brother’s Golf, smaller things of the VAG family of vehicles. I used the scanner to test some things in the transmission but is a very basic model/version so I cannot perform other tests/programming of the Mechatronic and I’m stuck plus the wife wants her parkingspot back.

Does anyone has a VAG-COM unit that I could borrow to give a shot at re-programming the transmission valve body? Or a pointer to someone that knows VW/Audi where I can go for help?

Next thing in the VW saga would be a bad clutch and that means the transmission must come down...

Now for the long story short, spolier alert...

My street is not giving tickets for street cleaning currently. Not sure that goes for everywhere in the City though.
Wish I could help, but cars are like computers to me. Not my thing.
If anyone here somehow doesn’t know Mario, he is absolutely someone who deserves the help.

I don’t have any experiences with VW but has had my fair share of car issues and what not.

When I come across a problem, I usually hit up the specific forums that specializes in those car. GTI’s are fairly popular and you may be able to get insight from someone who’s had that issue before!

You may be able to find someone who already experienced those problems and the solution may just be buried deep in those forums.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah street cleaning tickets are not happening anywhere in the city. You can still get parking ticket for blocking hydrant, cross walk, parking on sidewalk, etc, but yeah, the no street sweeping ticket thing was a rare show of kindness for a city that requires just about everyone to stay home.

ive worked on tons of VW's in the past as a enthusiast, 2008 and older.the new DSG trans from 2006+ are known to have a lot of problems. They are a pain to deal with, goodluck with the fix. grab a can-bus Vagcom to help with the diagnostics. VWVortex.com is another source for some reference.

Well, after quite a few weeks, money spent in a few pricey parts (even freaking oil), I took the car on the freeway this evening and finally fixed it.
Damage done to the piggy bank but car is running again.
I ended up buying a new Mechatronic unit from VW directly; between yesterday and today, I removed the “refurbished” unit and swapped it for a brand spanking new one that was a bit north of 15 Benjamins. Now I have to figure how to get a reimbursement from the “refurbished” unit.

I am doing the opposite. I have a front diff issue that looked like it's in need of replacing. The oil was not existent and making lots of ringing noises when driving.

Had the diff oil refilled, and was making tons if noise still... but kept driving the car anyway given COVID because I don't want anyone working on or in my car. Weeks go by ans noise is gone... or maybe I just got used to it. Hah.

I am hoping that with the lube and lots of driving the bearings unstuck themselves. Hah

Will probably have someone look at it again when all things get back to semi-normal. Been tempted to fix it myself but removing a PTU is non trivial on my car. ...though this is helping me rationalize a hydraulic lift in my garage...good thing I have tanks there in my spot that stop me from doing so. Can you imagine how much heat I would get when my wife finds that in the garage one day like see did with my garage tank? Lmao.

Yeah, just figure I can stretch this out until hopefully things get more contained.

A PTU for a Range Rover is a lot of corals I much rather buy! :)

But will probably replace before my next trip to Tahoe, whenever that might be

Back