Neptune Aquatics

What is your ideal Calcium Reactor set up

Okay folks, my tank is demanding way too much 2 part anymore (100ml's of each part of b ionic), and I fear that I need a calcium reactor. I honestly have zero clue about how they work, and how to set one up. My requirements for a calcium reactor are simple.

1. 1k or less for the full set up
2. easy to set up, dial in, and refill
3. Doesn't need fiddling with
4. is easy to control
5. integrates with the apex so I can monitor it remotely.

I really just don't want to have to worry about anything other than an occasional fill up/cleaning and PH probe calibration. If its any harder than that, I will honestly just sell all my coral. I do not have all day to fiddle with the tank anymore.

Hi Rostato,

You should be able to setup an ideal carx for under 1k.

You need:
1. Calcium reactor, with a pH probe holder.
2. pH probe, which can be regulated by your Neptune apex or a standalone pH controller.
3. CO2 canister
4. CO2 regulator
5. Peristaltic pump (ideal situation would be a high end one like a masterflex, but there are many cheaper ones out there now, including the $150 Versa.)

1. Geo reactors are very popular because they are simple and sturdy. They have been around for a long time and Reefers have a lot of experience with them. Based on your tank size, I think a 612 is a good size (it’s what I have on my Reefer 525XL). The 6 stands for the diameter of the chamber and the 12 stands for the height in inches.

A couple years ago @Newjack sold me his 612 for a great price of $150. I added a pH probe holder. I’m planning on selling it in the next couple months once I upgrade my tank, and was planning on passing it along for the same price within BAR. You’re welcome to it if you want:

930b59f8f59a3f504607873140b73ee1.jpg

2. pH probe. Since you’re probably going to keep your existing pH probe in your tank, you might need to buy a new probe and apex pm1 unit. Together, new, it’s about $150. Maybe can find a deal used down to $100? The plus side of getting another module is you can setup a second temp probe, which I keep in my overflow just as another backup.

3. Co2 canister. The one pictured above is a 10lb tank. It will last you a long time (over a year probably) without refilling. This is dependent on your usage of course. A 5lb tank would be fine too, you would just have to refill it more often. I think it’s good to have a backup tank filled in storage to swap out at a moments notice. These tanks are not that expensive. Some people will include them in their package for little extra cost.

4. Co2 regulator. This controls the co2 coming out of the tank going into your reactor. The best one is the carbon doser. I know some people will say the Alan Le two stage is better but I don’t agree, having owned both. I traded @roostertech a dos for his Alan Le 2 stage, and used it for 2 years before the solonoid started to leak slowly (so when it was supposed to be shut, a small amount of co2 would still leak through). I think you can get a used carbon doser for around $250, but I still have the Alan Le 2 stage (pictures above) and if you’re handy and want to try replacing the solonoid, I would sell it for $100.

5. Peri pump. The ideal setup is a newer masterflex unit. They can be had for around $600-700. If you’re a master negotiator like @RandyC you can find some cheaper. While they are the best, having owned 3 of them, I do think they are slightly overrated in the reef game. I have had 1 die on me and have heard of a couple others that have croaked. They are also not immune to clogging. They are the best out there but the “set and forget” crowd doesn’t talk about some of the issues that can still happen with any peri pump on pull. Pushing through the reactor probably has less chance of clogging but it “pressurized” the chamber and there is an increased chance of leaking. Plenty of other cheaper options out there now like kamoer or versa.

I should add that some people add a secondary chamber which is also called a “degassing” chamber. The purpose of this is to increase the pH of the effluent so it doesn’t drop your tank pH as much. It becomes more significant the more effluent you are adding (as your system demands increase). I guess most people would include that in an “ideal” system but not necessary if you’re just starting out. Very easy to add later.

Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Rostato,

You should be able to setup an ideal carx for under 1k.

You need:
1. Calcium reactor, with a pH probe holder.
2. pH probe, which can be regulated by your Neptune apex or a standalone pH controller.
3. CO2 canister
4. CO2 regulator
5. Peristaltic pump (ideal situation would be a high end one like a masterflex, but there are many cheaper ones out there now, including the $150 Versa.)

1. Geo reactors are very popular because they are simple and sturdy. They have been around for a long time and Reefers have a lot of experience with them. Based on your tank size, I think a 612 is a good size (it’s what I have on my Reefer 525XL). The 6 stands for the diameter of the chamber and the 12 stands for the height in inches.

A couple years ago @Newjack sold me his 612 for a great price of $150. I added a pH probe holder. I’m planning on selling it in the next couple months once I upgrade my tank, and was planning on passing it along for the same price within BAR. You’re welcome to it if you want:

930b59f8f59a3f504607873140b73ee1.jpg

2. pH probe. Since you’re probably going to keep your existing pH probe in your tank, you might need to buy a new probe and apex pm1 unit. Together, new, it’s about $150. Maybe can find a deal used down to $100? The plus side of getting another module is you can setup a second temp probe, which I keep in my overflow just as another backup.

3. Co2 canister. The one pictured above is a 10lb tank. It will last you a long time (over a year probably) without refilling. This is dependent on your usage of course. A 5lb tank would be fine too, you would just have to refill it more often. I think it’s good to have a backup tank filled in storage to swap out at a moments notice. These tanks are not that expensive. Some people will include them in their package for little extra cost.

4. Co2 regulator. This controls the co2 coming out of the tank going into your reactor. The best one is the carbon doser. I know some people will say the Alan Le two stage is better but I don’t agree, having owned both. I traded @roostertech a dos for his Alan Le 2 stage, and used it for 2 years before the solonoid started to leak slowly (so when it was supposed to be shut, a small amount of co2 would still leak through). I think you can get a used carbon doser for around $250, but I still have the Alan Le 2 stage (pictures above) and if you’re handy and want to try replacing the solonoid, I would sell it for $100.

5. Peri pump. The ideal setup is a newer masterflex unit. They can be had for around $600-700. If you’re a master negotiator like @RandyC you can find some cheaper. While they are the best, having owned 3 of them, I do think they are slightly overrated in the reef game. I have had 1 die on me and have heard of a couple others that have croaked. They are also not immune to clogging. They are the best out there but the “set and forget” crowd doesn’t talk about some of the issues that can still happen with any peri pump on pull. Pushing through the reactor probably has less chance of clogging but it “pressurized” the chamber and there is an increased chance of leaking. Plenty of other cheaper options out there now like kamoer or versa.

I should add that some people add a secondary chamber which is also called a “degassing” chamber. The purpose of this is to increase the pH of the effluent so it doesn’t drop your tank pH as much. It becomes more significant the more effluent you are adding (as your system demands increase). I guess most people would include that in an “ideal” system but not necessary if you’re just starting out. Very easy to add later.

Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WOW, that helps a ton! I am definitely interested in buying your set up when your ready. I am in no rush at all.

I will look into the Alan Le 2 stage, and am handy enough to replace a solenoid...I think

I will probably just go with the versa for a pump.

Yes, and thank God for that. I have had to constantly up the amount of dosing for the last month or so to keep the DKH from tanking. But I still managed to hit 6.5 yesterday:oops:
Man that's alot of consumption. You are sure the values are correct and no measurment error here right?

Okay folks, my tank is demanding way too much 2 part anymore (100ml's of each part of b ionic), and I fear that I need a calcium reactor.
Why do you fear this? Just cost of b-ionic is too much? What size B-ionic do you buy? The price drops pretty drastically as you go larger, depending on the store you get it from the 2gal size is about 2.5 times more than the 32oz size but has 8x the amount of stuff, and the 8 gallon size cost ~6x the cost but with 32x the amount of stuff. Then there are cheaper alternatives too like mixing your own using everything from Arm & Hammer baking soda to using BRS "Pharma" grade stuff, which isn't as cheap as A&H is still cheaper than every name brand thing out there.

It's not that I'm anti-calcium reactor, I think they're great, it's just over the years I've seen the "I use too much of <insert fancy brand name solution that is bought in a smallish bottle at a LFS> I think I need a calcium reactor"

Why do you fear this? Just cost of b-ionic is too much? What size B-ionic do you buy? The price drops pretty drastically as you go larger, depending on the store you get it from the 2gal size is about 2.5 times more than the 32oz size but has 8x the amount of stuff, and the 8 gallon size cost ~6x the cost but with 32x the amount of stuff. Then there are cheaper alternatives too like mixing your own using everything from Arm & Hammer baking soda to using BRS "Pharma" grade stuff, which isn't as cheap as A&H is still cheaper than every name brand thing out there.

It's not that I'm anti-calcium reactor, I think they're great, it's just over the years I've seen the "I use too much of <insert fancy brand name solution that is bought in a smallish bottle at a LFS> I think I need a calcium reactor"

I buy the 4 gallon buckets of the 2 part. Costs about $100 with tax. At the current rate of 100ML per day the 4 gallons will only last me about 150 days. So this puts me at around $250 per year in just 2 part alone. (Assuming no more demand)

Plus this much 2 part makes my salinity pretty unstable. I am constantly having to do water changes or pull out a gallon of tank water and let it top off. I assume this slowly changes the "ionic balance." I believe that is why I started having issues in my older Reefer 250. The changes are much less impact-full on the new tank, but I am starting to see them for sure.

I choose b ionic for the trace elements and magnesium it includes. I firmly believe only adding cal/alk/mag will also throw things off over time. My tanks have seen much better growth and health from corals since I switched to b ionic.

And trust me, I do not want a calcium reactor. They just seem like a big headache to me. I love my dos, and the tank is doing great. But I am getting tired of refilling dosing containers. The other day I check it right before the dos started sucking air. Mixing the 4 gallons of b ionic is one hell of a workout though.

Speaking of Magnesium. How do you folks with a cal reactor supplement magnesium? I do not want to have to dose...defeats the purpose.

WOW, that helps a ton! I am definitely interested in buying your set up when your ready. I am in no rush at all.

I will look into the Alan Le 2 stage, and am handy enough to replace a solenoid...I think

I will probably just go with the versa for a pump.

Tread with caution. I have 4 Versas and had at one point 3 running my 3 calcium reactors. Two of the setups are back on masterflex. Versa has the potential to be a great product as it’s very cost effective compared to competition, but they stumbled out the gate. I’m not yet ready to convert completely over to Versa until I get more run time on the setup I have remaining with Versa. As such, I’d probably give this a recommendation with caution.

Edit: what went wrong -
1. Seal in push connect was too small and did not seal well with various RO/DI tubing. They will replace your tubing with the correct seal for free if you have one of the older units with that shipped with bad seals.

2. There is the potential for the tubing to move off the front of the rollers a little that can lead to inconsistent drip rate or the potential for air getting into the tubing. They addressed this by sending out this retainer ring. This was very recent (last few weeks).

4246399E-E56D-4E8D-B764-AEE0F7FAC41F.jpeg

03D73C91-83A5-478B-BBD0-BB7A047ABB03.jpeg

3. ecotech recommends only pushing into the reactor and not pulling through the reactor. I prefer to pull. The problem lies in the barb they use to connect the tubing to the push connect adapter; it is very narrow and can get clogged with reactor media sediment very easily. I did it to two Versas in less than two months.

Speaking of Magnesium. How do you folks with a cal reactor supplement magnesium? I do not want to have to dose...defeats the purpose.

Put Two Little Fishies Remag in your Reactor.

Last edited:
Tread with caution. I have 4 Versas and had at one point 3 running my 3 calcium reactors. Two of the setups are back on masterflex. Versa has the potential to be a great product as it’s very cost effective compared to competition, but they stumbled out the gate. I’m not yet ready to convert completely over to Versa until I get more run time on the setup I have remaining with Versa. As such, I’d probably give this a recommendation with caution.

Yeah, I need reliability. The masterflex brings the cost of this up too high for me, but I feel its a necessity. Same with the carbon doser.

Yeah, I need reliability. The masterflex brings the cost of this up too high for me, but I feel its a necessity. Same with the carbon doser.

you don’t have to get the fancy digital display masterflex. An older analog with brushless motor masterflex can be had for around $400. Just as reliable, just no digital LCD screen.

The Versa I have set up now has been running well with the fixes place so far. I’m giving it a few months before I move the other systems back onto Versa.

Fair enough. $250/year seems like a lot, but the knocking your tank out of whack and possibly killing much more in coral is probably a bit more of a problem.

I can't help you with a calcium reactor, other than yeah there is magnesium you can toss into the reactor too, I've done the research on them too, and the one thing that kills me at the end of the day is all the extra shit you need with them, I mean I get it they're not going to come with a CO2 canister, and sure it makes sense to allow you to decide your dosing pump, and how to control the CO2 supply, etc etc, but then the price you see for it tends to double in price (in some cases) and it makes me want to just kick a puppy! Like damnit let me get a CO2 container, and everything else is there! Looked into pricey models like the DaStaCo, and others like the Deltec Twintech, but take everything I see with a grain of salt on ReefBuilders and other vlogs since separating the shilliness from the honest review is often difficult.

As for feed pumps, probably can get away with one of those Kamoer dosers (not the cheapy wifi ones) to save money over a Masterflex (which is NOT needed). ... yeah headaches, I feel your pain. Good luck :)

Back